oil additives

Started by junkyardjeff, April 14, 2011, 11:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Now that I know there might be a issue with a rod bearing is there anything I can add to the oil to prolong this motor untill I can do something with it,its going to be fall or winter before I can tear into this motor or install another and would like to drive it locally.

ragdol

I used to sell BG products, good stuff. You will have to find a shop that uses them to purchase some motor oil additive. Not sold in retail stores.

Carnut

I thought all old Stovebolt Chevy Sixes had to run on STP oil treatment.

taxpyer

GM makes a great oil additive and at not a bad price too,,,,,,,,,, :shock:  right at your friendly dealer. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

junkyardjeff

I think I have some STP around here somewhere and will give it a try,I need to keep it going through the summer and even though I have been driving it for a couple years with the noise now that I know whats wrong it will go quicker.

Digger

What is the problem with the bearing? If it's wear/clearance related, I would just run 40 0r 50 wt. oil until I could repair it. :?
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

fast401

All oil made today does not have enough ZDDP.  Using GM additive is necessary with ANY engine with flat tappet cams.  My engine builder lost 2 engines before we figured out what was up with the oil.  Since 2006 we have not lost an engine.  He uses Rotella and GM EOS or Brad Penn with all break ins. Also the price for GM EOS has gone through the roof when they found out everybody needed it.  It was originally 7 bucks and the last bottle I purchased was 27.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

junkyardjeff

This motor was broken in back in 90 ot 91 so I hope the oil had enough zinc back then

parklane

I understand that oil for diesel motors has more zinc than regular engine oil.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Fat Cat

Quote from: "parklane"I understand that oil for diesel motors has more zinc than regular engine oil.

Not any more. With the current new generation of ultra low sulfur diesel engines they have reduced the zinc. Additionally the 2009 up on road diesel engines have catalytic converters which means they will likely remove as much zinc as possible.

Crosley.In.AZ

you can use a couple of quarts of oil with more stuff in them ... like Brad Penn oil , Joe Gibbs oil.

I use the Comp Cams additive in oil on flat tappet engines I have.  Couple of ounces per oil change
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

I think the oil specific to motorcycles still nas the zinc . Any oil labeled racing oil will have it.

Bruce Dorsi

STP has ZDDP in it, and is still fairly reasonable in price.

The problem is that products don't list the % of ZDDP in their oils or additives.

Supposedly, the Rotella T that a lot of guys were recommending, has also changed formulas with a reduction or elimination of ZDDP.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Beck

I work in a oil additive plant. I expect there is a railroad car full of one of our ZDDP additives just outside the door. We make several blends of this product. This is the pure stuff without any cutting. It is shipped to the major oil companies for blending. I don't know if there is something else added at the oil company blender to complete this product or if it is just right as is. I wouldn't know how much to add to an oil change to make it better. What I's saying is I have access to it but don't know what to do with it.
I found this thread on another site which has an available sorce for the ZDDP in a ready to use form. Check this link
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104378
Lucas diesel oil used to have higher ZDDP but I don't know if they have cut back too.

Crosley.In.AZ

oil bottles with the "Energy Conserving "  on the little round label on the back...  should  not be used a motorcycle with a wet clutch.

Energy conserving type oils have additives in them that 'supposidly' affect wet clutches on motorcycles. I have no idear if true or not
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)