Power steering pump pressure

Started by ragdol, April 11, 2011, 11:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

I've read about some of you using GM pumps on Mustang racks & the related pressure issues. I'm building a '57 Ford with a 429 for a fellow, so I'm going the other way. Ford pump on a GM, Cavalier, rack. Will I have issues with the lower Ford pump pressure operating the higher pressure GM rack? Larry

enjenjo

No. The Ford using lower pressure applies only to a Mustang II rack. Since the late 60s Ford used GM Saginaw pumps with certain engines interchangeably with a Ford pump. Many of the steering boxes that Ford used were also made by Saginaw, using the same internal parts as the ones in GM cars.

The  major problem caused by using a high pressure pump with a Mustang II rack is the loss of steering feel. It may also blow the seals out of the rack. If it is darty and wandering, that is an alignment issue, not overpressure.

Using lower pressure with a rack is not the norm, all GM racks use the higher pressure, most Ford and Mopar, and all AMC racks use the higher pressure pumps.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzebby

Not to highjack this post but....... I've got a 5.0 Liter (302) mustang motor in my old ford pickup daily and I'm tired of the howling / moaning of that power steering pump plus it is leaking.  I've heard that even new ones make that noise so can I switch to a GM or ? pump  or even the older Ford pumps. I do have the serpentine belt as it is about a '90 Mustang engine and the box is the original (good) 70 Ford pickup.  I'm very leery of all the different brackets that Ford used over the years  but did they ever use a GM pump ?

enjenjo

Quote from: "zzebby"Not to highjack this post but....... I've got a 5.0 Liter (302) mustang motor in my old ford pickup daily and I'm tired of the howling / moaning of that power steering pump plus it is leaking.  I've heard that even new ones make that noise so can I switch to a GM or ? pump  or even the older Ford pumps. I do have the serpentine belt as it is about a '90 Mustang engine and the box is the original (good) 70 Ford pickup.  I'm very leery of all the different brackets that Ford used over the years  but did they ever use a GM pump ?

Most E series vans with a 302, or 351W about 80 and up, used a GM Saginaw pump, and from about 90 on up they had a serpentine belt. My 85 had one, v belt, and my 93 has one, Serpentine belt.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.