Resin or epoxy to fill cavity in hot oil ?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 09, 2011, 12:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am looking for suggestions on material to fill a trans case area.  

In the photo , the circled cavity is what I need to fill.  

The area I need to fill  is about 1.400 inch deep at the deepest. It is about 1.5 inches long and .600 wide inside that yellow line area

It would be exposed  to hot transmission  oil and pressure of 175psi

I use JB Weld on smaller areas in a valve body to fill a void or block a passage.  This one is larger - deeper , so something else in a mix and pour situation would be helpful

This material would need to be filed - sanded down level with trans case surface.

Casting resin has been suggested, although I was warned the resin tends to shrink as it sets up hard.  I guess multiple pours would work
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I would suggest this company  http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_materials/eng/Home/Automotive/Automotive/index.cfm?PageID=7615  might have a good product for that. In addition I would make an aluminum filler to take up most of the space, with a thin layer of epoxy all around it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

taxpyer

Take a look at a product called Devcon. Used for years in the mining industry for years. Sort of the heavy duty JB weld. Really good stuff. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

tomslik

Quote from: "taxpyer"Take a look at a product called Devcon. Used for years in the mining industry for years. Sort of the heavy duty JB weld. Really good stuff. :wink:

devcon has/was used in a lot of intake manifolds back in the days of non-sheetmetal intakes and would prolly work but how about some of that low temp aluminum rod like http://www.aluminumrepair.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=10&cat=HTS-2000
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

It is typical to use aluminum dowel material to block a passage in a valve body.. you mill a slot in the valve body passage, insert the dowel usually with lite taps of a hammer.  You flat sand the v-body and yur done.

Also, as enjenjo mentions an insert is used in large cavity to reduce volume.  This was very common on power glides with a rear pump design case. When you reduce volume of area to fill, the shift is quicker.

That is what I am doing here. I am cyphering on a trans brake valve body to make the reaction quicker for certain clutch packs to apply. I need oil to pass this cavity into the pump area. If I can reduce the volume of the passages, the trans reacts quicker.  I am talking tenths of a second quicker.

This cavity is such a weird shape, I am lookin for a quicke - easy method to fill it and have the material hold up to hot oil
Tony

Bruce Dorsi

Is there any reason common plumbing "soft" solder would not be suitable?

Common solder alloys are mixtures of tin and lead, respectively:

63/37: melts at 183 °C (361 °F)  
60/40: melts between 183–190 °C (361–374 °F)
50/50: melts between 185–215 °C (365–419 °F)

I imagine the odd shape of the "plug" will prevent any shift of its position.

If the purpose is to just reduce the volume of the cavity, it should not matter if the plug does not completely bond to the aluminum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

unklian

Devcon makes an Aluminum "putty".
Should have temperature specs on their site.

wayne petty

if the component does not need to fit totally tight...

how many do you need.. is this a ONE off part.. or a prototype... for multiple production

i would think that perhaps.. you might talk to a water jet cutter...  see if their nozzle is on a multiple axis  so they could run down a length of aluminum... making the slightly tapered outline...

a die grinder might do the rest top of the shape...  since there would be no place to clamp onto ...  that would give you a grind to fit part that only requires little hand work.. instead of sawing the entire chunk out of the material..   reduce the volume...   end up with one flat side that you don't have to machine down to be able to mount the valve body separator plate..

just an idea... and it all depends if the water jet cutting shop has a multiaxis nozzle...

they could do it in multiple passes by shimming up one side then the other...  that might be easier..  except for keeping the distance from the nozzle..

one could always cut the depth major profile on a strip of material on a vertical or even horizontal mill... then just cut the pattern with the water jet... it might still need some hand work...  but .. that could be done in just a few minutes...

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for suggestions.

wayne,  I need to keep this simple since the unknown factor of:  "will the mods  help ?"

I do have some bits of aluminum that I can fit into the cavity with some basic epoxy filler  for testing.

If I can reduce the area that needs to pressurize during trans brake operation and shifts that will accomplish my goal i hope
Tony

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"thanks for suggestions.

wayne,  I need to keep this simple since the unknown factor of:  "will the mods  help ?"

I do have some bits of aluminum that I can fit into the cavity with some basic epoxy filler  for testing.

If I can reduce the area that needs to pressurize during trans brake operation and shifts that will accomplish my goal i hope

We have used some stuff at my place of work to fill cavities in aluminum heads where a wiring harness comes through to keep oil from puddling in the cavity and leaking out through the seal that is supposed to keep the oil inside the head. I would imagine that this stuff would work for your application. It is a 2 part epoxy that we dispensed with a pusher mechanism and a standard caulk gun. I will try and get you a name tomorrow.

zzebby

We have what you need at work and if you recall we are at Mclintock and university if you want to stop by and I can give you some resin and hardner.  You were at our shop some years ago to get workbenches......recall ?  It is called stycast and is mil spec aerospace grade.  We buy it by the gallon so no one will miss a cup full.  Problem is that I'm away till the monday after easter.  Can you wait ?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "zzebby"We have what you need at work and if you recall we are at Mclintock and university if you want to stop by and I can give you some resin and hardner.  You were at our shop some years ago to get workbenches......recall ?  It is called stycast and is mil spec aerospace grade.  We buy it by the gallon so no one will miss a cup full.  Problem is that I'm away till the monday after easter.  Can you wait ?

Ii remember the work benches and  tops, use 1 or more of them daily.  At  least walk by them.

doo not remember the shop location.

I have found some epoxy stuff, will try that on the trans case I have now... the product you mention sounds easier than what I have right now
Tony