Fast service

Started by enjenjo, March 25, 2011, 12:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I ordered some stuff from McMaster Carr yesterday about 7 pm, it arrived today at noon. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I ordered some stuff from McMaster Carr yesterday about 7 pm, it arrived today at noon. :shock:

The snow musta slowed them down a bit!  :lol:    Seems to me lately that shipping is actually getting faster. My daughter in N.C. ordered a specific stain for me to use from a place in Florida, about 40 hours later it was in my hands in Michigan....

DRD57

Quote from: "enjenjo"I ordered some stuff from McMaster Carr yesterday about 7 pm, it arrived today at noon. :shock:

Of all the vendors I buy from, they impress me the most. They seem to have EVERYTHING in the way of industrial hardware in stock, their web site is fast, easy to use and always available, and their shipping is just short of light speed.

A few weeks ago I placed an order at about 11pm on a Saturday night. It arrived at 10am Monday morning which was President's Day.

Having spent a number of years in logistics and warehousing, I'd love a tour of one of their distribution centers.

kb426

I agree. I don't get instant shipping out here in the boonies but I'm always impressed with their inventory.
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

Too bad they won't ship to Canada.  :(

phat46

Quote from: Boyd WhoToo bad they won't ship to Canada.  :([/quote

I see you're about 100 miles from the U.S. border. If you were closer you might be able to have things sent to  a friend on the U.S. side of the border and pick it up there. I do it quite often for friends from Canada, there's an Air Ride system on it's way to my place right now for a friend on the other side. I got to meet BenD (from the HAMB) a couple weeks ago when he dropped of some Mercury parts for a guy from Sarnia Ontario. Most of the guys I get things for are from the London Ont. area which is 60 miles away and they say it's worth the drive to save the shipping costs into Canada for them.

Rochie

Phat46,
I use Port Huron as a drop spot, not so much because of the shipping costs, I think we all know it costs to get something from here to there, but because of the Broker's fees.
I'm lucky, my wife's company has a branch plant there, but you can rent a drop box for cheap at the  UPS store or P.O.
I realized what was going on when I built my 57.  I needed the 1/4 panel seals. No problem CARS Inc. is in Birmingham Mi 110 mi. away.  I ordered the seals $16.00 and asked for overnight shipping $15.00. No problem says CARS.
I got them 7 days later and the total cost was $74.00  That's $43.00 to pay someone to say it's OK to the cross the border and it took ,I'll give them the benefit of doubt, 6 days to do it.
It's no wonder US companies don't want to ship up here.  They must get a bunch of complaints when crap like this happens everyday.

Crosley.In.AZ

it is amazing how welll some companies operate at getting product out the door, even large ones.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Rochie"Phat46,
I use Port Huron as a drop spot, not so much because of the shipping costs, I think we all know it costs to get something from here to there, but because of the Broker's fees.
I'm lucky, my wife's company has a branch plant there, but you can rent a drop box for cheap at the  UPS store or P.O.
I realized what was going on when I built my 57.  I needed the 1/4 panel seals. No problem CARS Inc. is in Birmingham Mi 110 mi. away.  I ordered the seals $16.00 and asked for overnight shipping $15.00. No problem says CARS.
I got them 7 days later and the total cost was $74.00  That's $43.00 to pay someone to say it's OK to the cross the border and it took ,I'll give them the benefit of doubt, 6 days to do it.
It's no wonder US companies don't want to ship up here.  They must get a bunch of complaints when crap like this happens everyday.

There is a place here, over on Lapeer Ave right  at the end of the by-pass that you get onto off the bridge, that you can have stuff shipped to if you're from Canada and then pick it up there. I'm sure there's a charge but it's one of those "Why didn't I think of that!?" things. Yeah the broker fees are a big part of it and some companies just won't ship across the border. Sometimes these guys leave a car here for a few days while paperwork clears Customs; Earlier this year a guy from your neck of the woods left his 638 h.p. Mercedes here for about five days....I didn't even sit in it :lol:  You must know the whole London/St Thomas car gang, several are on this board.

Rochie

Yea Phat,
that was my buddy Nigel with the Mercedes.  Normally he meets carriers at Wadhams Rd. The P.O. on Military has rental boxes as does the UPS store in the north end.
I know a bunch of crazies from around here and Windsor.  If you folks are looking for something to do try this home town show, coming up in June. Keep in mind, this show is in his backyard!!!

http://www.fleetwoodcountrycruizein.com/

phat46

Quote from: "Rochie"Yea Phat,
that was my buddy Nigel with the Mercedes.  Normally he meets carriers at Wadhams Rd. The P.O. on Military has rental boxes as does the UPS store in the north end.
I know a bunch of crazies from around here and Windsor.  If you folks are looking for something to do try this home town show, coming up in June. Keep in mind, this show is in his backyard!!!

Yup that was Nigels Mercedes. The P.O. on Military is no more, the P.O. is now out on 32nd St. That really looks like a great show you have over there! We went over to the show at Canadian Tire a few years ago, good show. There's always a big group from you area over here for our annual Cruise Night and show and Schultzes show. We probably have a lot of mutual friends. If you're over here sometime let me know, I'm right by the Bridge; I can see the Custom booths from my front window!

unklian

Quote from: "Rochie"If you folks are looking for something to do try this home town show, coming up in June. Keep in mind, this show is in his backyard!!!

Some of my artist friends will be there,
I'll be in Michigan for Sins of Steel.
http://sinsofsteel.com/

parklane

Ya, Joe (phat 46) is a good man. He has helped me out several times, and even given up his garage space a few times.  :D  :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

phat46

Quote from: "parklane"Ya, Joe (phat 46) is a good man. He has helped me out several times, and even given up his garage space a few times.  :D  :D

...and i don't mind a bit. There's always something interesting showing up. I currently have three car related packages here waiting pickup. It's one way to keep in touch with friends!  :D   BTW John, Fred is coming over in his "new" Chevy on monday....

oldbobsign

McMaster has been amazing the past couple of years.  If I order before 9:00am it gets here between noon and six the SAME day.  And this is not for large orders either.  Last week it was two boxes (100ct) of stainless screws and two boxes (100ct) of white plastic anchors.

I remember seeing that catalog on my Dad's bench back in early 50's.