Build Day 3-19-11

Started by moose, March 19, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

We got off to a good start. The Franks, Joe and moose started to finish the roof chop. George and Denise arrrived to add to the crew. There were a few groupies that also stopped by to view the fun being had. Our main objective for today was to try to fit the remainder of the roof to the body. We started out by cutting the roof just past the door edge. We firt this section first. Once we were pleased with the fit and flow of the front we proceeded to fit the rear. This section required a few pie cuts to allow the contour to be reshaped. There is more welding and a few pieces to be shaped and added but that is tomorrows task. Following are the few pictures I took as I had time.....

moose

Boyd Who

Looks good! Seems like everyone was smiling and having fun, too. Wish I wasn't so far away, I'd love to come to one of these build days.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

39deluxe

Looks like some good progress was made today. See you in the morning.

Tom

Glen

wow...that is a lot of body modifications going on....looks cool.  Did Denise bring cookies?

Crosley.In.AZ

looks awsome so far guys.  Good to see the gathering of folks there.  

thanks for the photos.

it is official, I have more hair remaining than fatcat.... not much tho
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Good job guys. Side view is great.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "moose"We got off to a good start. The Franks, Joe and moose started to finish the roof chop. George and Denise arrived to add to the crew. There were a few groupies that also stopped by to view the fun being had. Our main objective for today was to try to fit the remainder of the roof to the body. We started out by cutting the roof just past the door edge. We fit this section first. Once we were pleased with the fit and flow of the front we proceeded to fit the rear. This section required a few pie cuts to allow the contour to be reshaped. There is more welding and a few pieces to be shaped and added but that is tomorrows task. Following are the few pictures I took as I had time.....

Looks like the drip rails removed.

A filler piece added in where the drip rail would be located.. this aids the fitment of the roof back to the body?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

QuoteA filler piece added in where the drip rail would be located.. this aids the fitment of the roof back to the body?

We didn't have the drip rails, they had rusted away. And the edge of the roof over the doors was rusty too. So we formed a new flange above the doors, eliminating the drip rail, and giving us something to weld the roof to.

We have Joe, Tom, and me here today. we are refining the chop, adding more tack welds, and installing some patches where needed.

32coupe

Quote from: "Boyd Who"Wish I wasn't so far away, I'd love to come to one of these build days.

You think your too far away, I think I've got you beat on that one,  :D  :D I'll have to schedule my next trip to coinside with one of these build days too. Looks like a good day was had by all.

Cheers
Andrew
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Fat Cat

Quote from: "32coupe"
Quote from: "Boyd Who"Wish I wasn't so far away, I'd love to come to one of these build days.

You think your too far away, I think I've got you beat on that one,  :D  :D I'll have to schedule my next trip to coinside with one of these build days too. Looks like a good day was had by all.

Cheers
Andrew

You plan your next trip here and we will schedule a build day while your here.

moose

Any Pics from Sunday??

enjenjo

Quote from: "moose"Any Pics from Sunday??

No, it looks pretty much like it did saturday with several hundred more stitch welds. We did get the low spot out of the seam in the roof, some time with a spoon and it will be good. I did get some more welding done on the front corners, we could have used another welder to get more done in a shorter time.

Mikej

I'm practicing.  Maybe next time.