Steering shaft info needed

Started by reborn55, March 13, 2011, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Info needed--Wifes coupe has what I finally believe is a 2nd generation Camaro clip on it. Looks like it and i cannot find any where to positively id it. Need to replace the collapsible steering shaft. Have found one new for a Camaro on Ebay and a couple of what appear to be good used ones for mid 70's Camaro. I also think I have a early to mid seventies Olds tilt column with 1 inch shaft. Does it make a difference in getting the shaft? I think most of the later model GM columns have a 1 inch shaft. The upper shaft has only been pulled out of the lower shaft about a 1/2 inch. Wondering if I should go with the Camaro shaft in thinking that I have the Camaro clip or what. Also need to replace the lower bearing on the column--are the bearings for that also generic. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

enjenjo

All the 1" by 48 steering shafts are the same.  Second gen Camaro steering box can be 13/16" by 36, or 3/4" by 36. Most are 13/16" by 36. The lower bearing is also generic, any 1" shaft, splined or DD. As long as it's the right length, and the ends are the same, any GM shaft will work.

What is the problem with the old shaft?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

The shaft going into the upper coupler(boot end) has a lot of side play, so I am guessing something is worn out there.  So I am looking to replace the shaft.  Will probably pull and measure it and hope for the best.  Can't find any part numbers on it so far.  After looking on the internet all night--not sure is a Camaro shaft is the same or not. The steering box is teh 800 series from what I have researched Thanks

enjenjo

Quote from: "reborn55"The shaft going into the upper coupler(boot end) has a lot of side play, so I am guessing something is worn out there.  So I am looking to replace the shaft.  Will probably pull and measure it and hope for the best.  Can't find any part numbers on it so far.  After looking on the internet all night--not sure is a Camaro shaft is the same or not. The steering box is teh 800 series from what I have researched Thanks

At the upper end, that shaft has a trunion joint, a type of Ujoint. Like the one in the picture, but without the compensating spring. But behind each ball it will have a flat spring. As long as the shaft is the right length, and has no radial play, side to side play is normal. You can disassemble the trunion by removing a snap ring at the base of the boot.

Up through 79 the 800 box has a 13/16" by 36 spline. In 80 they went to a 3/4" by 36 spline.

Just about all the cars GM made in that era used the same type of shaft, outside of the length. So if the length is right, the ends should be the same.

reborn55

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "reborn55"The shaft going into the upper coupler(boot end) has a lot of side play, so I am guessing something is worn out there.  So I am looking to replace the shaft.  Will probably pull and measure it and hope for the best.  Can't find any part numbers on it so far.  After looking on the internet all night--not sure is a Camaro shaft is the same or not. The steering box is teh 800 series from what I have researched Thanks

At the upper end, that shaft has a trunion joint, a type of Ujoint. Like the one in the picture, but without the compensating spring. But behind each ball it will have a flat spring. As long as the shaft is the right length, and has no radial play, side to side play is normal. You can disassemble the trunion by removing a snap ring at the base of the boot.

Up through 79 the 800 box has a 13/16" by 36 spline. In 80 they went to a 3/4" by 36 spline.

Just about all the cars GM made in that era used the same type of shaft, outside of the length. So if the length is right, the ends should be the same.

So side play of about 1/8 to 1/4 inch is acceptable.  As always--thanks
Do they make rebuild kits for them

enjenjo

QuoteDo they make rebuild kits for them

They used to, but no idea if they are still available. I have some good used parts here.

reborn55

Have you got a good used shaft

48ford

You can check out the monte carlo ss board.
A lot of guys are swaping out the shaft for one from a jeep. They bolt in and eliminate all the slop.
Hope this helps
russ

phat rat

Maybe I'm looking at this too simple/wrong. Why not use a u-joint to replace the old worn out piece? If the shaft is too short get a longer one or lengthen the one you have
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "reborn55"Have you got a good used shaft

Depends. What is the spline at the steering box, or if you just want the top half, how long is it?

reborn55

Got to thinking about using the u-joint setup.  Can get a 48 spline 1 inch for the steering column and 3/4DD---would basically be the same but a little better than what I have.  Saw where I think GM did this on an upgrade for their trucks.  So I went and measured shaft at teh top and it looks like I would need at least 4 inch in length joint.  I would be cutting the shaft right where it starts to get a little bigger before it goes past the rag joint(hope I am making sense into the housing) and then inserting it into the joint.  The shaft itself is out to where the flat bellville spring(I guess that is what you would call it) just appears.  Any problem coming out further.  Or just replace it with 3/4DD bar--would not be as tight but would still collapse.  Any ideas there.   Hope this sounds like I know what I am doing.

Thanks

enjenjo

If you can see the bellville spring, it's already out too far. See if you can find the top half of the shaft out of a 80s Grand Cherokee, it has the 1" 48 spline, a Ujoint, and a 3/4" DD shaft.

reborn55

What if I take that shaft or better yet get a piece of 3/4DD and cut it to fit both ends.  Then on the lower end drill through the outer shaft and just dimple the new DD shaft a bit.  Then tap the lower shaft hole and use a set screw to hold the DD shaft in place. Use the ujoint on the column and into the 3/4 shaft.   Would loose the collapsible part, but how many without that part on driven around on new builds.  Should work--don't you think unless you have a shaft about 20 inches long with room to spare

phat rat

If the DD shaft fits into the outer sleeve far enough that it couldn't come out on it's own you wouldn't need to use a set screw. Thus you would still have a collapsible shaft
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.