May park the ford in the barn

Started by 48ford, March 02, 2011, 06:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Bob

I'm glad you took the time to re-tell that story, it's a beaut.  I'll bet your brides version of the story would be as good.............maybe even better! :)
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

phat rat

Very cool that you got it back after all those years with it being so close to the way it was when you sold it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Boyd Who

58 Yeoman

Good story, and great looking car.  The only car I had sold and ran across years later was a '69 VW Beetle that I had made some mods to.  Years later I found it in a local salvage yard all stripped down except for one rear fender.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carnut

Yes Carps a great story.

Nice to see the car back home.

Heh, heh, you also just answered a question I've always wondered about.

Where the controls and pedals are on a RHD car. Didn't know if everything was mirror image of our LHD's or what.

From your pics it appears the pedals are the same location as our LHD's with the shifter flipped to the right side of the column.

UGLY OLDS

Neat Story , Carps .... Thank you ..  8)

From that photo it has to be STRANGE to jump in a RHD car  &  
         just "Motor Away" .......... :shock:  :lol:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carps

Quote from: "Carnut"Heh, heh, you also just answered a question I've always wondered about.

Where the controls and pedals are on a RHD car. Didn't know if everything was mirror image of our LHD's or what.
Yupmostly that's how they are.  Jap cars are perfect mirror images because Japan is a RHD country and they spend a lot of time getting the ergonomics right.  Euro and US cars have the steering column and console controls backasswards because the simply swap the column left to right and leve the centre as is.  So it's usual to know that if it's not raining and the wipers of a US or Euro car ara activated, that means it's going to turn or change lanes.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"From that photo it has to be STRANGE to jump in a RHD car  & just "Motor Away" .......... :shock:  :lol:

DRD57 or Bob K can probably answer that one better than me.

On the other hand I have little trouble with LHD.  All you gotta remember is that the car is on the opposite side to what you're accustomed too.  The simple rule is to remember that no matter which side the wheel, it always goes to the middle of the road.  So you just need to think and function like Ginger Rogers, who did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards (and in high heels - which I'll leave as optional  :wink:   ).  For us driving in the US, the biggest concern is the tendancy, especially when there's no traffic and two way road, is wandering towards the right side because we're used to the centre line being to our left.  Master keeping it to the right and then the problems only occur when you get home and start looking the wrong way for traffic coming at you.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

wvcab

thank you for sharing... all the dots lined up. congrads

taxpyer

Thanks Carps. I loved the story and can appreciate the way you feel about your car................. 8)
Two years ago I was visiting my friends machine shop and caught him and his crew having lunch.  After the usual chit chat we started talking about garage finds. One of the guys started telling everyone about a car he heard of over in my area. Then another fellow said that he'd heard about it as well. Well we talked about what it was etc and it turned out to be a T similar to mine. After we talked for awhile about this "find" it became clear that they were talking about my car! :shock:  I guess having my project on the go for 33 years it had made it into local folk lore for the car buffs 250 miles away.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I realised that I'd best finish it and get on with it......................We all laughed alot.
Thanks again Carp.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

rog

Nice one Peter, looks like a rippa  :D