Coe door lock cylinder

Started by 348tripower, March 01, 2011, 06:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I bought a lock cylinder a long time ago and installed it. The tumbler needs to rotate 360 degrees to remove the key. This can't happen with the Dodge handle mechanism. I will check this again, but, I think I need 90 or 180 degrees. any ideas?
Don
Don Colliau

34ford

Might try your local locksmith. We have one here in town that can get about anything. Old family owned company. Always come thru with all the vintage stuff we need to repair at the bank at times.

bc

wayne petty

How about some description of the locks that you have installed... or a brand and part number that you planed to install....

what shape of opening do you have...  and size???

there are all kind of options...

i have even found briggs and strattion lock catalogs back to the early 30s online...

this site has a lot of stuff that is not really automotive... but has a LOT of various small cam locks....

http://compxnet.com/csp.html

there are also metal nibblers like this to custom shape holes in door skins with care to match different shaped locks...

http://www.harborfreight.com/nibbling-cutter-97636.html

don't take big bites... they work.. but are not as strong as the US made versions that i have not seen in a long time..

348tripower

Body is 3/4 dia. about 13/16 long with a 3/16 square shaft that goes into the door latch.  Overall 3 1/4 inches under the stainless trim. The stainless ring on the front is 1 inch in diameter.
I checked it out and it turns 360 to get the key out. All I get out of the latch assembly is about 270 degrees.
Don Colliau

wayne petty

this is a 84 to 90 jeep grand wagoneer door lock cylinder...

is this close????

this looks like a flat tail piece....  but you should be able to add additional sections to the sides.. by brazing them on or silver soldering them on... to make it square to fit into your latches...

its a strattec #  701923

these should turn 90 to 105 degrees either way with the key removal in center...   i don't have one in my hand to try.....

this one looks like it may only come out every 180 degrees...

its a strattec 606118   for heavy duty truck applications....

enjenjo

I was here today  http://bontragers.com/  And they have a ton of different locks for $2 or $3 each. You might go over there and take a look.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Thanks. All good leads. I may have a solution. If an early Ford doesn't rotate 180 degrees it should fit the hole. we will see and let everyone kno the outcome. :D
Don Colliau

348tripower

My buddy brought over a lock from a 40 Ford.  We tried it only to find that it only worked at 360 degrees. :?  Then he put the key in the Dodge lock and  then announced turn it  till it locks and turn it back and pull out the key! :oops:  Gotta go pull my head out of my butt.
Don Colliau