makin' woodie

Started by tomterrific, February 15, 2004, 05:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomterrific

I'm interested in converting a car to a woodie. Any info on how to do this amongst you geniuses? Any info on adding woodie trim will be appreciated.................Tom

SKR8PN

I just saw a 1937 Plymouth 4 door sedan,converted to a Woodie about 4 months ago. He cut the body at the floor line and lft the floor pan intact.Then he built his own"inner structure" ,including operating door frames,out of 1x1 square tubing,and "covered" it with THE most beautiful maple I have ever seen. Inside and out. Lots of work,but my gosh is it going to be pretty!!! :o
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

tomterrific

Quote from: "SKR8PN"I just saw a 1937 Plymouth 4 door sedan,converted to a Woodie about 4 months ago. He cut the body at the floor line and lft the floor pan intact.Then he built his own"inner structure" ,including operating door frames,out of 1x1 square tubing,and "covered" it with THE most beautiful maple I have ever seen. Inside and out. Lots of work,but my gosh is it going to be pretty!!! :o

I'm planning on just the maple trim. Enough is enough!

Bib_Overalls

I dont know anything about building wooden cars but the attached cartoon is perfect for this thread!
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Sean

Quote from: "tomterrific"I'm interested in converting a car to a woodie. Any info on how to do this amongst you geniuses? Any info on adding woodie trim will be appreciated.................Tom

They sell woodgrained peel and stick cabinet lining at Wally World.... :wink:

Beck

I was going through some of my old mags the other day and came across a drawing of a 34 Chevy woody. Looking trough another book I came across someones car built like the picture. The picture was better but the car wasn't bad. The thought of building one has been running through my warped mind also. Then I realize how much work it would be and back off. There are some painters out there who specialize in woodgraining house doors that do a wonderfull job. It would be possible to make a glass or steel car and have it painted like wook. The painting bill would be a lot but it wouldn't weather like most woodies seem to do. It wouldn't bring the big dollars later if it was sold either. A few years ago the homemade woodies were very popular. There were several hitting the big shows. Most were very nice. Nearly all of them were the 2 door variety, making them unique. Happy carving.
Beck