Back From My Self-Imposed Exile

Started by 40, February 10, 2011, 11:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A couple of years ago I realized that I was missing lots of other things that I enjoyed doing as nearly all of my free time was spent on something car related so I decided to take a break.Well,it's been 2+ Summers since I've built a fresh car to drive so I'm working on another 37 2dr Flatback Sedan.....Yes, ANOTHER 37!! Built a new chassis and have the body in finish primer from the firewall back.I need a radiator so I can finish fitting the front sheetmetal  which leads me to my question.....which radiator to use.I have used both Griffin and Walker in the past...a half dozen or so of each with absolutely no problems.I have heard of several problems with the plastic in the Griffins but have not experienced anything personally.I've seen a lot of good comments about the PRC aluminum rads....no poly....and AFCO seems to make a good product at a very attractive price.I have a very stoutly built SBC for this project that will be turning out 400+ HP and am leaning toward a copper radiator for the extra cooling but am wondering who besides Walker makes a decent product?At present,I'm not planning on A/C and have set the motor mounts rearward a couple of extra inches to allow room for a mechanical fan.Any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.I'm also thinking about doing the interior myself based on a "take-out" interior from a donor car but that will be fodder for a future post!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

Last 4 cars I have done got a PRC radiator. Very well made, and any modifications I wanted were done without  hassle.

I have used Griffin, no problems with cooling with them, but the last time I bought from them, they sent three damaged radiators in a row. And the last two I am sure were damaged before shipping, because the dents were molded into the foam packing.

I have used BeCool without problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Frank......Where are you buying the PRC Rads and what is the lead time?Thanks!

enjenjo

Quote from: "40"Frank......Where are you buying the PRC Rads and what is the lead time?Thanks!

Online, direct from PRC. Usually takes a week or so to get it, unless I am having a custom one built, then about 2 weeks.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rochie

Daryle, is that you??? Try these guys. I've bought 3 from them in the last couple of years all good quality and cool the 29 with NO problem.
http://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/

Ohio Blue Tip

Good to have you back.
I bought a PRC 2 years back for my 34 which has A/C and all the other stuff.  Works great and the craftmanship is very good.
That's what I would buy again.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

jaybee

Hey Daryle, good to see you again!  Sounds like a cool project you're working on, can't wait to hear more.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Am I the only guy that had 2 defective PRC's in a 32?
TEAM SMART

Quote from: "Rochie"40,
Daryle, is that you??? Try these guys. I've bought 3 from them in the last couple of years all good quality and cool the 29 with NO problem.
http://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/
Hey Wayne.......Yep,It's really me!! Is it still Winter up there?? :P Thanks to all for the suggestions.....I was leaning toward a copper rad but decided to give the aluminum one from Superior a try.I did contact PRC also but they had a ship date of 4+ weeks and I really don't want to wait.Both companies seemed very reputable but Charlie at Superior was about a Benjamin Franklin cheaper and could have it on it's way in a week.I'll report back and let you know what I think when it arrives.Good to see some of you "Old Timers" still hanging around! I'll take a couple of shots of the old girl Monday when I haul it to the paint shop and post them if anybody is interested.

48ford

I used one fron superior .
I had it set up to cool a 400 chevy in the ford and it fit nice,and it was a good price.
They were fast too.
Hope it works out for you.
Russ

UGLY OLDS

Hey Daryle...Good to see you back .... We need photos of what you've been up to   :!:  :idea:  8)

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rochie

Man,
Is it ever still winter up here.  I have 3 1/2 feet of  snow on the center of my front lawn.  The little rodent said 6 weeks till spring but I can't wait. The wife and I are going to get some sun.....SOON  really Soon!!

34ford

Daryle,

Make sure you don't let anybody drive that thing with a "bucket seat this time"  :shock:  :shock:

The upholstery should be easy. I did my 34 and need to get on the ball and finish it up this spring.

bob

Quote from: "34ford"Daryle,

Make sure you don't let anybody drive that thing with a "bucket seat this time"  :shock:  :shock:

The upholstery should be easy. I did my 34 and need to get on the ball and finish it up this spring.

bob
Hey Bob......You're right.....The "5 gallon bucket seat" didn't work out to well last time! I still have the crashed fenders in my shop and the crushed custom billet grill still hangs on the wall at the upholstery shop as a reminder!I am thinking about doing the interior myself based on take-out seats from a donor car,if I can find something that will fit,and then making the panels myself and covering them with matching material.I plan to have a stock style headliner made by a company in California and try my luck at installing it.I am planning a red leather interior.....may not have much luck finding donor seats and the car may end up at the upholstery shop anyway.

rumrumm

I have an AFCO in my '32--been in there since 2003--no problems. It is not as pretty as a PRC, but it has served me well. I had a Walker in my previous rod--no problems with it, either. It is still going strong with it present owner 23 years later.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com