They are at it again

Started by Mikej, January 14, 2011, 12:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "Mikej"

Bob I follow most laws except speed and jaywalking and coming to complete stops and there might be a few more because I don't knwo them all and they just keep adding to them :oops:

Mike, that's why I used the word "generally"........I know there are hardened criminals like you out there. :)

Just to clarify, I'm not real happy about rising energy prices either.  However, I also know if we allow ourselves to be distracted by dishonest (or perhaps ignorant) politicians and ratings seeking media people (again, dishonest or ignorant, you choose) then we keep having the same problems, or worse,  And I believe, as a citizenry, we've set ourselves up for much worse because of our ignorance in repeatedly buying into the distractions usually in the form of some sort of blame game that's agenda driven.  

Two thought experiments.  A few years ago when the price of gasoline reached $3 per, a certain strain of politician and their compliant media folk were demanding the President of the United States "do something".  Many even implied, if not outright blamed, the President and Vice President were doing it for some illicit gain.  Apparently the Pres and VP no longer have that ability as I don't hear the story told that way this time.  I can't figure it out. :?

Why wasn't anyone complaining about "speculators" a couple years ago when the prices went down?  When not labeled with the name "speculator", which has a negative connotation, these same people are called commodity traders.  They are just as active in their trading when the prices go down, or even when they stay stable.  So why aren't these evil people evil all the time?  I thought their greed knows no bounds?  The action of these traders signals that market conditions are changing regardless of the direction.  Their job, in part, is to anticipate where the market is going.  Right now what they do is telling us the future will have more demand than the current supply mechanisms can keep up with.  The message that I wish we'd see is we need to put pressure on those that get in the way of that mechanism (or a realistic alternative one) expanding to meet the future need/demand............but unfortunately too many of my fellow citizens seem more interested in being distracted from what the real obstacles are.  But, that's why dishonest people in positions of power keep playing the "Hey, look at this shiny thing over here...." game...............it works.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

unklian

The price of oil "has to" go up,
to make all the alternatives economically viable.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "enjenjo"Read this

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/a-brave-new-world-of-fossil-fuels-on-demand/article1871149/

Fascinating claim.........................IF it's true.  I'd love for it to be so.

Perhaps it's the cynic in me but the part of the story about having Sen. Kerry tour the facility, and the notation that the company/process doesn't currently qualify for Federal (read your and my tax dollars) funding is most disturbing.  They may just be playing the biggest, easiest sucker.

If/when we ever have a legitimate alternative, it will likely be something that emulates an existing technology (e.g. this accelerated photosynthesis).  If someone has the ability to develope a process/technology that's viable, they won't need a tax payer ripoff subsidy like the current wind/solar/biofuel beggars.  They'll have investors lined up at their door to fund them and bring the functioning product to market.  For those that like to believe old tales about greedy oil companies buying up and hiding pixie dust carburetors this could be a gold mine.  In reality, the oil companies would likely be the champions of this company, and it's likely biggest investor or take over prospect.  Think about it.  The current petroleum fuel producers/distributors/marketers have an enormous amount of capital investment in infrastructure.  They make pennies per unit, but because the number of units (gallons of fuel) is such an enormous number they drag in enormous piles of cash.  IF this were an economical and real process, the current suppliers have the system in place to distribute it.  They have the piles of investment capital, or access to it, that it would take to scale it up to meet market demand.  And of course, they have the motivation to protect their hynies.  Our current government direction is making it ever more difficult for them to operate their businesses, particularly on a local basis.  It would make sense to embrace a technology that would keep them from having to pursue ever more complex, and thus expensive, sources further away, and/or more difficult to access/retrieve.  But then, they probably would have gained a controling position before it became this well known.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Carnut

Heh, heh, Uncle Bob you da man. I'm your biggest fan.

Shame those folks who found a cure for prostate cancer got their laptop stolen with all their info on it.

Harry

"* Cheney had to consult his physician today. Not for his heart. Every time the price of oil goes up more than $1 a barrel, Cheney gets an erection that lasts more than 4 hours."

-- Jay Leno

rumrumm

I didn't know * Cheney had a heart. LOL!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mikej

Quote from: "Harry""* Cheney had to consult his physician today. Not for his heart. Every time the price of oil goes up more than $1 a barrel, Cheney gets an erection that lasts more than 4 hours."

-- Jay Leno

That was uist to funny. :lol: