Update on my BIG rod project

Started by Flipper, July 27, 2004, 08:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flipper

Some of you from the H.A.M.B might have seen this already.  For those who don't go there, here is an update on my '47 Seagrave hot rod project.

I found Alcoa wheels on E-bay.  24.5 x 8.25 rear wheels with 285/75/24.5 tires (41.5" tall) and 22.5 x 7.50 front wheels with 255/70/22.5 tires (36" tall).  Believe it or not, they really don't look all that big.

The big news is the motor I picked up.  It also came off of e-bay.   ......An all aluminum, air cooled, 1,790 cubic inch V-12 out of a Patton Tank ! ! !

It is the same engine that is in the Blastolene Special (now the Jay Leno hot rod  :( )

The body is probably going to be altered to make the engine fit (cowl moved back).  I am going to mate it to the 4 speed that came in the truck.

Anybody here ever messed with one of these motors (Continental AV-1790-5B)?

Flipper

in daylight  ...yes that is a crew cab SuperDuty

Flipper

front wheels with a fender mocked up.

Flipper

enjenjo

In the third picture  is that the tank motor on the left? If so, it looks like it has an SAE bellhousing, so fitting the truck trans to it should be fairly easy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

What is the horsepower and torque rating on that bad boy?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

purplepickup

AAUUURRRRrrr!! :shock:  ....I say in my best attempt to make that Tim (the Toolman) Taylor sound.  You're definitely stepped it up a notch.  Keep us posted with lots of pictures.  It's going to be one cool ride :D
George

Ohio Blue Tip

Looks like you have an 810 HP at 2800 RPM 1790 CU. IN. engine.
Those were used in the M46 Patton tank.  
Jay Leno has one out of the later M47 and may be about 900 HP.  The later supercharged engines were over 1000 HP.  We are still building the basic engine that was designed in 1943 but is now a supercharged diesel that puts out up to 1200 HP.
Jay recently needed a rod for his engine but the parts have mostly been scraped by us and the Army so we couldn't locate one.  (He'll just have to make one)
The tank retriever the pulled over the statue of Saddam in the war is equipped with a 1790 1050 HP.
I need a ride when it's done, never run a gasser but drove many a mile in a diesel powered tank.  Built and ran many in test cells also.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Dirk35

Isnt that the Blast-o-leene(SP?)?

unklian

Flipper:Love the wheels,
and it looks good with the bottom of the fender so low. :wink:

I don't remember,is it going to have air bags ?
How tough will it be to shorten the body,when you move the cockpit back ?

Flipper

Quote from: "unklian"Flipper:Love the wheels,
and it looks good with the bottom of the fender so low. :wink:

I don't remember,is it going to have air bags ?
How tough will it be to shorten the body,when you move the cockpit back ?

Yep, it's gonna get bagged.  It shouldn't be very hard at all to slice it.  There is already a verticle seam in the midle of the body. ....and I am wanting to ditch the water tank in order to add more seating (that is closer to the front seats).  I'm kinda thinking about making it a four-door while I'm at it.

The cutting will take place right in front of the rear fender.

I also want to replace the angle iron at the back of the body and the tube that goes halfway down the side with 1" or 1 1/2" round tubing.  The round tubing will also frame the top of the body (on the inside side)

Flipper

Here is the photo chop I did shortly after my dad bought his 1938 Seagrave.  

I also have a 1940 model in addition to the 1947 that is getting rodded.....they were too cheap to pass up.....all 3 were less than $1,000 if you don't count gas money

unklian

And it will look even better with the cab moved back,
and the cylinder heads hanging out in the breeze.

Flipper

Quote from: "unklian"And it will look even better with the cab moved back,
and the cylinder heads hanging out in the breeze.

Mine is actually a bigger truck than the one in the pic (179" wb vs. 159" wb).  Since mine came with the "big V-12" the hood was about 10" longer than the one pictured.  Mine also has about another 10" in the body behind the doors.  Overall length is the same though. ....less overhang in the rear.

Here is a picture of it looked like when it left the factory.  It used to have a roof (kinda).  The roof got cut off and a bigger water tank installed (by the Grand Island, Nebraska fire department) in around 1961 according to an old fireman I tracked down (ain't the internet wonderful)

Flipper

My truck (same serial number) is also in a book that I bought.