coupe updates

Started by moose, January 09, 2011, 09:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Finally got the dash inthe Coupe.

I started with a stock 1946 Chevy Pick-up dash

I rough trimmed it to fit in

The dash has a Vee shape and was too tall so the next step was to cut it straight then change the radius to match the A dash rail

Because i wanted to be able to remove the dash if needed I formed a new dash rail to bolt where the original dash rail covered the tank. I cannot find a pic of this piece seperately so here it the back side tacked to the dash

As you can see it has a radius that matches the mounting area. I welded blind nuts to it so it is now bolted thru the front

This shows how the mount rail and dash now transition. I still need to trim the front edge.

The next step was to trim the width and start to form the end pieces.

The center area had a hole that originally held a crank for the windshield that had to go so I cut it out.

and replaced it with a filler piece straight at the top

it is almost finished. i still need to do the final welding and metal finishing but fits well now

I am undecided about gauges. Here it is with three mocked in the panel that came with it. I am using a 40 Ford style wheel and collumn.

I am well pleased with how it fits an it gives me the look I was after.....

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Looks good, nice job!

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

chimp koose

nice work! Did you know that an'80 ford courier steering wheel looks almost the same as a '40 ford? The courier column has no ignition switch but has the lights/dimmer , washer /wiper and hazard lights switches on it.

moose

Quote from: "chimp koose"nice work! Did you know that an'80 ford courier steering wheel looks almost the same as a '40 ford? The courier column has no ignition switch but has the lights/dimmer , washer /wiper and hazard lights switches on it.

No but I will look for one next trip the the yard. There are not many earlier pieces in the yards around here.....

Carnut

Heh, heh, that is so cool, I am so envious of you folks who can do that kind of metal work or even thinking you could make it fit and look good like that.

unklian

Quote from: "moose"
I am undecided about gauges. Here it is with three mocked in the panel that came with it. I am using a 40 Ford style wheel and collumn.

The sharp 90 corners, framing the round gauges,
creates a bit of a visual conflict.

What if those corners were softened ?
Maybe try a 1 1/2" rad.

unklian

Fantastic progress, as always.

rumrumm

Nice work! It is always the unique choices that really make a car stand out.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mikej

Looks good Moose. Enjoy watching your progress.

348tripower

That is looking great!
Don Colliau

moose

Thanks All.
Ian I know what you mean. The dash came with that panel so I stuck some gauges in to get a look, I may create something similat to the original by putting the gauges behind squarish holes. Just something more to figure out :roll:

Tim

GPster

Maybe instead of gauges you could make that opening have a blacked out screen with digital read-out? GPster

unklian

Quote from: "moose"
Ian I know what you mean. The dash came with that panel so I stuck some gauges in to get a look, I may create something similar to the original by putting the gauges behind squarish holes. Just something more to figure out :roll:

Tim

The 52 Pontiac dash has a softer shape around the gauges.

Similar deal on the 41 Pontiac