Torque spec info needed 70's mid-size chevy brake

Started by 41woodie, January 07, 2011, 01:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

Anyone have access to the torque specs for the front caliper mounting pins on a mid-70's midsize (Malibu).  Thanks in advance

Charlie Chops 1940

Not aware of one but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I use an allen socket, a 3/8" drive normal length ratchet, a little anti-sieze on the threads and make it as tight as I can without straining. Never broke one or had one come out since GM calipers came on the scene.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Okiedokie

41woodie

Quote from: "Okiedokie"35 ft lbs. Are ya gonna polish em also?

I just might, after all even if they can't be seen, I'll know that they are polished.  By the way did you make up the torque spec or what, I know you can't have remembered it more than 24-36 hours.

enjenjo

Just for info, those bolts are not stainless. They are zinc plated mild steel. So if you polish them, they need a clear coat.

I hsve never torqued them either, but 25 to 35 lbs sounds about right. Looking different places I see the torque listed as anything from 28-31-35 to 38 lbs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

41woodie

I'm not really going to polish the caliper pins, my bud Joe (OkieDokie) is pulling my chain about it.  Years ago I polished the top of a stainless gas tank that was going in my '39 Std coupe and he thought it was a hoot since nobody would ever see it.
I think 35ftlbs is what I'll use, I started at 25 and didn't think it was tight enough for the application, I'll sleep better at 35.

Okiedokie

35 is the number in my 1977 factory manual for a Camero.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've never torqued them bolts on any of my cars or Camaros

Now I know
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)