is shipping gonna kill ebay?

Started by tomslik, January 02, 2011, 06:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Bob

I know last minute sniping has become real prevalent, but with all bidders being anonymous now it's pretty hard to detect shills.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

unklian

Click on Bid History, then on a bidders name.

Look at the 30 day summary;
the part I watch closest is "Bid activity (%) with this seller:    "

When that number is unusually high, I start to suspect shill bidding.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sellers information box has the "ask a question" button... ebay put up a system where there are FAQ you see first after you click on the ask a question button

then there is a page where you can actually ask your question to the seller after you fill out the captcha box that is supposed to fool spam bots

back to the original question of tomslik:

swap meets may revive because of shipping costs and fees placed on sales.  Look at what Carnut has paid eBay recently.  I am sure there are more stories like his

Most swap meets now have tax fee in the cost for the space that is paid to the city the swap is located in.  A local swap meet on west side of Phoenix is 20 bucks per space = parking spot. If you have a truck n trailer that is 2 spaces if they are both parked in swap area.

20 bucks a space is purty cheap in todays market i think.  It is on county community college school parking lot in the city of Glendale.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

I did some checking on eBay about  a * that did not pay me a few weeks back.

I noticed he had 100% positive feed back (7) and I thought that was odd.

I read the feed back ; 3 of the 7 feedback post indicate the member did not pay.  

Since eBay went to that type of program where you can not put in negative feedback on a buyer what good is it?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

art.flame

most of you live in the US ,I'm a fan of ebay for the reason that i can find parts that are not available in the Netherlands but sometimes to pay 3x times as much for shipping then that the item costs , and then there \'s the import tax 3,5% and normal tax 19% ..al calculated over item and shipping cost .
sometimes i ask myselve .....what the heck i love hot rodding
Art 8)

58 Yeoman

I just sent a box to Finland with an exterior spotlight that cost $41US.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Topsterguy

I frequented Ebay quite a bit a few years ago when it was a LOT more seller / buyer friendly, but haven' had any use for it for a long time. I find now that a lot of sellers pad their shipping BIGTIME, it's not buyer friendly because you can only pay for stuff with paypal or credit cards, no money orders,  and I don't have paypal and I'm not setup for anyone to pay me via credit card. I think it's just a big "ebay store" now, and the people who run it are just as much ***holes as they always were. ALL they're interested in is making tons of money - not in anyone that uses it. I'd LOVE to see them fold personally!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

32coupe

I just won a Walker radiator and I need it shipped to Australia, the seller is quoting me $550-800usd to ship it.

There must be a cheaper way...............help

Andrew
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

phat rat

Quote from: "32coupe"I just won a Walker radiator and I need it shipped to Australia, the seller is quoting me $550-800usd to ship it.

Andrew

Do you know anyone down there who has a shipping contact here on our west coast? That's the way a couple of Aussies who have bought from me handled it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

32coupe

Yeah I have contacted a guy in Longbeach but, the import rules have changed over here and it might cost just as much after customs and handling fees.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Topsterguy

Quote from: "32coupe"I just won a Walker radiator and I need it shipped to Australia, the seller is quoting me $550-800usd to ship it.

Andrew

You might want to check USPS if you're in the states or Canada Post if you're in Canada. I've shipped a couple of top frames down there and I used Canada Post, it was a lot cheaper than couriers.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

unklian

Enjenjo can probably ship it, but he's in Ohio.

Gotta be someone here on the left coast.

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"Enjenjo can probably ship it, but he's in Ohio.

For USPS the charge is the same any where in the US to any where in OZ.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "unklian"Enjenjo can probably ship it, but he's in Ohio.

For USPS the charge is the same any where in the US to any where in OZ.

The reason I asked about a shipping contact on the west coast is because many times people go together on a shipping container. That was how the parts I've sold too down under have gone.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

art.flame

thats how i did it ,i found a dutch couple living in buffalo they do about 2 shipments a week
i bought a mustangII ifs shipping cost $1700 ,now i had to pay 200