605 power steering

Started by mrloboy, December 29, 2010, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I have a 55 Chevy in the shop with a 605 steering box in it. It came in with no hoses. I was wondering which ports on the box are pressure and return. Thanks in advance! Rick

mrloboy

Answered my own question!  Larger port 11/16"-18 thread, closest to the front of the box. Hoses are ordered. Rick

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

57larry

I had trouble on the last 2 605 boxes that we installed. 1 on a 57, 1 on a 56, both leaked

mrloboy

Quote from: "57larry"I had trouble on the last 2 605 boxes that we installed. 1 on a 57, 1 on a 56, both leaked

I have heard numerous complaints for the 55-6-7 conversions leaking. I have had numerous cars with factory 605 boxes on them with no issues. Is it only within the aftermarket kits that the problems? What experiences have you fellow rodders had? What better options are available for the 55-6-7 applications? Most of my experience has been with Mustang II and Camaro clip suspensions. A friend of mine picked up this 55 with the steering already installed along with dropped spindles and disc brakes. It is a nice car. Would like to make it right for him. Rick