Raw Fuel smell on cold start

Started by BFS57, December 28, 2010, 08:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Noticed recently that on these cold mornings I seem to have a strong smell of gas coming from the engine area. I checked the usual, fuel lines from pre filter to the carb in! no leaks I can find. The carb is a 1406 Edelbrock.
Could this fuel smell be from the carb? or what?

Bruce

wayne petty

i would look really closely at the side of the mechanical fuel pump...

there is a tiny (1/16" ) vent hole... usually aiming at the block... that if the diaphragm is starting to leak...  will squirt a bit of fuel out on first start... and usually a bit of vapor after that..

look for an extra clean area where the vent is......

GPster

I had thought that some time in the past you had asked a question about fuel pumps. I went back through four pages of your posts it was easier for me to convince myself I was wrong than to find it. I wanted to have some history before I made that suggestion. GPster

wayne petty

and a chevy mechanical fuel pump install tip...

the lobe on cam that drives the pump pushrod is at the proper location for fuel pump installation when the #1 cylinder is at TDC compression stroke..   so pull the number one spark plug or the distributer cap...

bump the engine around to get it there...

when installing the fuel pump...     disconnect the battery... pull the engine oil dip stick...   stick the engine oil dipstick straight down from the top into the opening... it is slim enough to work it in beside the fuel pump rod... then in front of it...    now.. you can slip the fuel pump into place using the fuel pump lever against the dip stick.. this will retract the fuel pump pushrod... drop the lever down into position.. now you can pull the dip stick and start the bolts...    makes it an EASY job...

the reason to disconnect the battery... on many engines. the alternator is above the fuel pump.. you don't want to short the dipstick to the output terminal while you have the fuel line open below...

thats not the sort of flame job people like.. usually...

i did see a really nice mini truck with a serious flame job on the front end..   i walked over to the owner and ask if he had problems when he parked the truck... if he had the fire department show up often and squirt his truck with water trying to put out the flames...

that sure got a huge smile from him....  :lol:

BFS57

Hello;
I think Wayne might be on to something> When it starts it has the smell pretty much after I drive a while, the smell goes away. I don't have time right now to look as I have to get under the car to access the pump.
Keep the suggestions coming!

Bruce

wayne petty

really cool slow motion video of a corvair fuel pump leaking at speed...

good thing gasoline is inflammable..

the hole in the middle is the same as the hole on the sides of conventional pumps...