Att: Engine builders

Started by Hooley, December 24, 2010, 07:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooley

I am in the middle of building a Chevy 409 engine. Our talk went to covering the inside of the block with Rustolem or some other coating.  I have  used Rustolem in the past with no problems but was wondering if any one has used POR-15on the inside of a block?

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

bowtietillidie

Hooley :  I am a dealer for POR- 15 Paints  I have read everything about this stuff but find nothing positive about using it in oily environment so I won't recommend using it inside of an engine.  But ..... back when we raced the W  
motor we used GE Glyptal red....  this stuff was developed for use inside of electric motors and if use following GE's directions will not come off .  
This is what I still use today
BOWTIETILLIDIE

kb426

TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

I've used the Glyptal in the valley and crankcase after hot tank and then a detergent wash. Sticks seemingly forever. It's a "can't hurt" deal in terms of drain back to the pan and splash not hanging on the iron in the crankcase area.

Benefits - hard to measure I'm sure.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Harry

Rrumbler

Glyptal.  I don't know about the "S" line, but plain old red Glyptal dries and cures to a fine gloss finish in air, and I have used it in many applications; just let it cure completely.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

1800guy

Glyptal for sure.  I used Rustoleum Yellow Oxide once, and later notice a little flaking.  No real harm came of it, but the Glyptal has always looked perfect on later inspection.  Also, FWIW, the oil seems to stay cleaner longer.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

chimp koose

Glyptal,although there is apparently little if any benefit to its use. There is a forum called speed talk where there are a lot of engine builders asking and responding to questions. Do a search on that site and you will find that most engine builders who still paint inside the block ,do it more for a professional appearance than any benefit.

Hooley

Thanks guys for the bennifit of your experance with this issue.  It is Gyptal for sure. Do you know a source for it?  

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

1800guy

I would try Grainger Industrial Supply if you have it in your area.  If not, call a local electrical rebuilder and ask where they get theirs.  HTH.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Hooley

Yes there is a Granger in Tulsa about 45 miles away. I am down that direction every week or so. I'll pick some up.  Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

wayne petty

i took a look at grainger...  i could not find it listed online

http://www.glyptal.com/Distributor.htm

looks like Eastwood (stocks 1201 qt and 1201A)
1-800-345-1178

but i could be wrong....

i did see several epoxy coatings at grainger.. that had 500F working temps.. but i did not go farther... as there are thousands of epoxy formulas...    when i worked with dad at the paint store.. there was one there called Epron..  that was designed for coating wood...  there are plating companies here that built plywood tanks.. coated it with epron and used it for the acid tanks... for decades without leaks..

i saw some of them when i was even younger.. as my brother went to repair the 500 amp 25 volt power supplies at one of the lamp plating companies..     i remember that trip well as he showed me his business card...   other things besides new lamps for old... was small countries overthrown...  and tennis balls refuzzed...  i have long since lost that card...

bowtietillidie

Also ..... Is there an electric motor repair shop near You .   That's where I get what little bit I use any more .    plus they can tell you right way to use this product  I made my oven for curing the paint out of a 55gallon drum with a removable lid .   the lid ..... I installed six heat lamps ......   paint the block
put it in the drum  turn lights on for 4 hrs shut down the lights
leave lid on next morning check cure  with thumb nail if your thumb nail leaves a mark do the above over.   Thickness has a lot to do with cure I put mine on heavy to make everything smooth for better oil return.   So I usually have to do the bake thing twice .   This whole process and the idea came from the electric motor repair shop that I first found in the sixties
BOWTIETILLIDIE

bowtietillidie

I forgot some drums  seem to hold heat better than others if you happen to have a drum that is to hot just shut down a  heat lamp or tow .    Also be sure to use STEEL drums and lids.

Ps:    If drum is to hot the rd color will look brownish
BOWTIETILLIDIE

Hooley

Thanks Wayne for looking that up.

Botietillidie I will start to look for motor rebuilders in the area. I know there are some.  The barrell heater makes cents too. Could that also be used to bake the block to clean it too?  

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"