Am Fm antenna for the coe

Started by 348tripower, December 20, 2010, 03:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I need an antenna. I have a cowl mount antenna that extends really long so it would be over the top of the cab. But all the reading I have done tells me that 31 inches is the optimum lenght for Fm. I don't know what would be too long. I have heard that the powered and hidden antennas don't work well. Anybody have any ideas on this?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

wayne petty

you might check this out..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-361/MOTORIZED-TRI-BAND-ANTENNA/1.html

i had a friend pick one up for his car.... they only had 6 left a few days ago..

chimp koose

Could you maybe put one horizontally under the visor?

kb426

Hidden units have a very short range. I live 60 miles from any station that is ok. Useless. The local station that is 15 miles away was all I could pickup. They went total espanol. I ended up buying a stereo with usb and aux input and provide my own music. If I lived where there were good stations, I would have put the antennae in the front on the box or between the cab and box.
TEAM SMART

bowtietillidie

How about mounting the antenna in the last stake pocket of your LOOOOOng bed .   It would give a place for the antenna to hide when not in use.   Also It looks like you have plenty of room between the frame and ground there by affording room to mount the workings of a power antenna.  Also you could build a weather tight box to protect the motor. by placing the antenna in the rear position  it get it away from any RF problems  and you could run the coax along the bed side and cab floor to the fire wall . There by hiding a unsightly wire     :idea:
BOWTIETILLIDIE

Digger

Or maybe use one like on the newer cars that go center rear of the roof. :idea:
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

papastoyss

Anybody ever used a under running board  mount antenna? I'm considering this route for my 40 coupe & would appreciate input.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat46

Wht re-invent the wheel? Wouldn't an antenna from any newer car or truck in the junkyard work just as well as it did on the original vehicle? My antenna on my Dodge truck will pick up f.m. from Detroit, 65 Miles away, just fine. In my car I can listen to WJR Detroit at least halfway to N. Carolina!

enjenjo

Quote from: "papastoyss"Anybody ever used a under running board  mount antenna? I'm considering this route for my 40 coupe & would appreciate input.

Yes, I have done it on several cars. I use factory Ford antennas, they have a fixed length for good FM reception. I mount them with an angle bracket to the running board braces, and another bracket with a rubber grommet on the other end.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "papastoyss"Anybody ever used a under running board  mount antenna? I'm considering this route for my 40 coupe & would appreciate input.

Yes, I have done it on several cars. I use factory Ford antennas, they have a fixed length for good FM reception. I mount them with an angle bracket to the running board braces, and another bracket with a rubber grommet on the other end.

That's the answer I was looking for.  :D
Don Colliau