GM 5.3L

Started by jaybee, December 17, 2010, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

One of my drivers just told me he has a late model 5.3L sitting in his garage, ran when pulled with no apparent issues.  The pickup had a little tick in the engine when he bought it.  He put in a rebuilt short block and found out it has the same tick.

That's my preferred motor (well, that or a 6.0) for the '57.  I don't think I can go wrong at $100, can I?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

My brother has a Chevy 4x4 pick up w/the 5.3, it's over 100k &never had a bolt turned except for oil changes.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

unklian

GM had "problems" with piston slap on cold start ups.
I think they probably saved 10 cents on the pistons, over the better design.

For $100, it sounds like a no brainer.

tomslik

i'll give ya 110 for it....

my 2000 chevy has  a 5.3 in it 150K on it now, just head gaskets but that's not real common but just my luck... :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

A good source told me most of those blocks can be safely bored .125  over to  add some displacement.

Weisco carves up some nice pistons for them.

I am thinking my falcon would run well with a hopped up 5.3
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carnut

is this 5.3L an evolution of the SBC or a whole new type of engine?

Obviously I don't keep up much with all the latest and greatest stuff.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"is this 5.3L an evolution of the SBC or a whole new type of engine?

Obviously I don't keep up much with all the latest and greatest stuff.

i've read the LS  engine group was a clean sheeet design.

It appears that many folks use a carb on them and use a MSD 6LS  box to control the spark from factory sensors on crank  and cam
Tony

jaybee

Thanks, guys.  That's what I thought.

Wayne, thanks very much for the links, I'll enjoy exploring them.

Carnut, yes the 5.3 is part of the LS family of engines and it's a clean sheet design.  There are a few common dimensions to let them call it a "small block" but no parts interchange.  It's a very good design, pretty much bulletproof and a good revver.  With the truck intake they're good to 6,000 rpm, the versions built for cars are mechanically much the same but run strong to 7,000.

The key is in the heads.  The designers worked really hard to make all the cylinders flow well and equally.  As a result the 5.3L (326 cid) truck engine makes 300-315hp net depending on version.  That's actually a little better than the 327/327hp of the 60s, with better torque and worlds better drivability.

enjenjo

I am seeing a lot of info on making good HP on the LS engines without  extensive  internal mods. Hot Rod, and Car Craft both have good articles this month.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Fellow at work mentioned the 5.3 seems to like a tighter lobe center like 108 or 109

this would be a carb equip engine
Tony

jaybee

Awesome.  I'll probably pick it up, though it'll be next month.  Now all I need is a transmission.  (Oh, and a rearend, and brakes, and a seat, and glass, and floors, and...)

papastoyss

These LS engines use the 4L60E trans which is computer controlled. A not so cheap flywheel adaptor is needed to mate to a good ol 350 trans.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

jaybee

Quote from: "papastoyss"These LS engines use the 4L60E trans which is computer controlled. A not so cheap flywheel adaptor is needed to mate to a good ol 350 trans.

Thanks.  I'd like to go with a manual, though T56's are pretty dear even on the used market.

Crosley.In.AZ

Info I receive indicates the 4.8  and 5.3 are dirt simple to swap to early trans and converter.

Spacer adapter for crank to converter hub is needed. about 45 bucks I see at Summit.

Flywheel , flat type for LS engine works with a re-drill for converter bolt pattern. Dish type flywheels cause problems

problems come up with 6.0 engine.  There are 2 crank shaft designs where the flywheel bolts on... One crank is standard at the flywheel hub, the other 6.0 has a extended crank hub for use with 4L80e trans.  Stay away from extended crank 6.0  , I am told

I work with a fellow that is up on this LS engine s tuff.  I can ask him questions if need be.

Also.. the cast aluminum oil pan from a H3  is best for many engine swaps into older chassis.  There are steel oil pans too from like Moroso.. these need a remote setup for the oil filter..........   8)
Tony