Hair pin rod end question

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 11, 2010, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am messin with this straight axle.. hair pins are thread for 5/8 x 16 RH thread at each end.

I have the clevis ends  at the axle side .... see photo.  larger version should be there if you clik on pic

At the frame end, a good quality heim joint with proper retaining washers should be to good?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Heims should work. You could also use tie rod ends.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Boyd Who

My old t-bucket used hairpins with clevis's at the axle and heims at the frame. Worked fine!

1800guy

I would certainly prefer a Heim joint with a safety washer - if a tierod end separates there is nothing to keep the hairpin in place.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Digger

I agree use a hiem with a washer. American made would be nice, I believe Aurora bearings still are. I just don't trust the others. 8)
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

wayne petty

just curious.... this is way beyond my current knowledge ... but i have always wondered about heim ends.. when used in suspension.. the few i have seen have gotten loose over the long term.. and sometimes the short term...

i was thinking of ways to defeat this wear... and i thought about these.. and other similar model knuckle bushings..

http://dormanproducts.com/p-28152-905-504.aspx

these as many will know.. are pressed into the knuckle and pressed steel control arms bolted over both sides...   the sleeves with these are for installation..

this is just another idea.. probably a bad one..  as i have had to change these when they get loose and start clunking..  yep.. remove the load on the suspension on higher mileage cars and these will be found to clunk.... i have had to trouble shoot some later model toy/lex cars with this same clunk.. after the rear struts and strut mounts were changed to get rid of the clunk...

Digger

There are seals available to keep the dirt and grit out of them. That's where the most wear comes from. If a person is going to use heims on the street I would advise using the seals-then you should have no problems. Many dirt track racers use these. Tony is building a drag car so he shouldn't need any further protection. 8)

Digger

tomslik

Quote from: "Digger"There are seals available to keep the dirt and grit out of them. That's where the most wear comes from. If a person is going to use heims on the street I would advise using the seals-then you should have no problems. Many dirt track racers use these. Tony is building a drag car so he shouldn't need any further protection. 8)

http://www.sealsit.com/rodend.asp
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Charlie Chops 1940

Most of my reluctance to use rod ends in suspension components has been the lack of seal to help keep them in good working order. Thanks Digger and Tom for posting about the seals. I bookmaked the site.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

i bought a pair of chrome moly 5/8 inch heim ends for the hair pins ends at the frame.  I figure they are strong enough for 100 mph on the drag strip
Tony

Rrumbler

The seals will help on the heim joints, but the way to keep them working right is to grease them regularly.  Our daily night watch duties in my time with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club included going ove every helicopter with a grease gun and a bunch of rags, and greaseing all of the heim joints - and there were a bunch of them; forget one, and it would come back to haunt you as a maintenance order the next day or so.  So, if you have heims on your wishbone ends, just take a few minutes when you are done for the day to jack them full of grease, until it squeezes out around the ball, them wipe them clean with a rag, and you'll be set for the next drive.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

wayne petty

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Rrumbler"So, if you have heims on your wishbone ends, just take a few minutes when you are done for the day to jack them full of grease, until it squeezes out around the ball, them wipe them clean with a rag, and you'll be set for the next drive.

hmmmm ,  that would require heims with grease zerts , these I bought aint got that
Tony

Digger

The ones you have are exactly what you need for your application :!:
Depending on usage I would think a zerk would weaken any heims under say 3/4 or thereabouts--just sayin 8)

Digger