New motor

Started by phat rat, December 08, 2010, 01:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Well the motor is in and running. This is what it looks like. A bit clean and detailed for a truck, but. It's a 454/489" stroker
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Fool injected or carb?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Don Colliau

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"Fool injected or carb?

750 Holley, vac secondaries, electric choke. Also has Performer intake and Hooker competition headers. I had all new exhaust from the headers back put on it the day before we got the snow here. So I only have 30 mi on it. It was kind of loud driving it over there with open headers. LOL

Charlie Chops 1940

Nice detailing Jack. Feel strong?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

I just drove it the one time, out to Steves and Tims and back. Never really got into it. Figured on taking a long drive last Wed but the snow came.

UGLY OLDS

Jack ..I believe the silver shiney stuff on the A/C lines is insulation, but  I don't understand why???    :?   Looks nice & clean...... 8)

Bob............... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Jack ..I believe the silver shiney stuff on the A/C lines is insulation, but  I don't understand why???    :?   Looks nice & clean...... 8)

Bob............... :wink:

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I bought the truck in Phoenix last winter and that's the way they were. I figured I might as well keep it on. Here's a pic of the truck

junkyardjeff

I would hate to feed that thing now that gas is creeping up to 3 dollars a gallon now,my 66 F250 and 77 f150 that both have a 460 is going to be bad enough.

Crosley.In.AZ

Near 500 CID and a Holley carb ..  that will be  high fuel  economy

:shock:

I hope it pulls well for you
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Looks good, but I am sure glad that you are the one that is going to parallel park it.  Do you have to feed 2 meters when you park it?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

phat rat

Quote from: "sirstude"Looks good, but I am sure glad that you are the one that is going to parallel park it.  Do you have to feed 2 meters when you park it?

Doug

Doug, not many places here have meters anymore. It's not bad parking it's all in what your used too.  For the naysayers on gas mileage, I don't expect great mileage. It also has a Gear Vendor overdrive. You don't pull much of a load with a toy truck, we have a 30' travel trailer and I have my 24' car trailer which weighs 3700# empty.

jaybee

You'll barely notice those trailers behind that rig.  It'll be a joy to tow with.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat rat

Quote from: "jaybee"You'll barely notice those trailers behind that rig.  It'll be a joy to tow with.

Thanks. It should be a great hauler. I do travel west through  the Rockies and my 02 Chev HD w/8.1 does ok there but I got the urge last year to go older and this is what I bought. I'll find out next year when I take my annual western parts hunting trip. Plus the wife and I will be using it with the travel trailer when we go to the Pacific N.W. next summer.

Crosley.In.AZ

My 2006 Silverado crew cab 1500 with 5.3 will pull 18 -20 mpg on flat ground , hit some hills the mpg drops 5 mpg or more

If I hook my car trailer with the Falcon 1962 on to the truck, mileage drops from 18  to 13  on flat ground.  Trailer is aluminum featherlite , Falcon weighs 2580. If I drop my speed to 60mph,  I can eek out 14mpg

Point is the 5.3 is a pig with anything hooked to it. With car trailer, up the on ramp to freeway with small grade, I am at 3/4 throttle in 2nd gear (3.73 rear) and wind the 5.3 to 4k before i shift it (4l60E) to 3rd. The Silverado weighs 6100 with me in it,  had it on scales

My next truck will be diesel power
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)