A good day!

Started by Boyd Who, December 07, 2010, 07:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd Who

Today was a special day.  :D

My new shop is pretty much done inside so I drove the Essex home from storage today. Yes, in the snow.  :lol:

I've already started making changes to it. The hood sides came off so I could see what it would look like. Once the ugly old slant-6 is gone and a V8 is dropped in it's place it should look really good, especially with some Limefire-style headers poking out.

I plan to start tearing the truck apart on Thursday. Tomorrow night I'll finally get the insulation done in the shop ceiling so the bales will be gone from the shop floor, giving me room to work on the Essex.

Happy happy joy joy!! :D

Before...

After...

reborn55

rumrumm

Nice shop and nice truck!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

taxpyer

Nice truck!  8) What are you heating your shop with?
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Boyd Who

Thanks guys! Don't you just love the setback on the slant-6? No wonder I have no legroom in the cab. I should be able to gain almost 10" of space once I drop an 8 in there.

I picked up the insulation blower this afternoon and expect to have the ceiling done tonight. That should help keep the heat inside the building. LOL

Taxpyer...I'm currently heating it with this 4800-watt 240V portable construction heater. I plan to replace it eventually with a Dayton G73 or something similar. Our house is 100% electric so a natural gas furnace was out of the question. The little heater does a fantastic job at keeping the shop warm even without the ceiling insulated. I figure heating costs for the shop will be well under $100/month.

jaybee

Love the truck!  Looks like you managed to get nearly enough lights in the shop, too.  As my eyes get older I'm finding out light is EVERYTHING.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Boyd Who

Quote from: "jaybee"Love the truck!  Looks like you managed to get nearly enough lights in the shop, too.  As my eyes get older I'm finding out light is EVERYTHING.

Thanks jaybee!
As for the lights...there's a total of eleven, four-foot T-8 fixtures on three switches. I'm like you...the closer I get to 50 the more light I like to have to work in. I normally only use six of them but it's nice to have the extra ones if needed.

taxpyer

Is the Dayton G73 an electric furnace? I'm heating with a pellet stove at the moment but considering a wood/electric unit.  :?  I am heating 1800 sq ft for about $3.50 / day. :shock:  It keeps the shop at about 55 degrees F. 8)  Just right to work in.
Thanks for the info. );b(
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

UGLY OLDS

QuoteI'm like you...the closer I get to 50 the more light I like to have to work in. I normally only use six of them but it's nice to have the extra ones if needed.

Nice shop ... Are you going to finish the interior walls with drywall??    Oh...I,m not looking forward to getting closer to 50 either ..... :roll:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

river1

Quote from: "taxpyer"Is the Dayton G73 an electric furnace? I'm heating with a pellet stove at the moment but considering a wood/electric unit.  :?  I am heating 1800 sq ft for about $3.50 / day. :shock:  It keeps the shop at about 55 degrees F. 8)  Just right to work in.
Thanks for the info. );b(

55 degrees F :shock:  :shock:  i might have to put long pants on :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Boyd Who

55 is a perfect temp for working in the shop, Jim! Any warmer than 60 and I find that I start to sweat.  :lol:

taxpyer...yes, the Dayton is an overhead electric furnace. I don't know what you pay for power where you are, but up here it's about 6.5 cents/KW hour. I can heat the shop for about $100/month with a 5KW electric heater.

Here's a couple new shots that I took today. The shop is cleaned up, the ceiling is now insulated, and the rebuilding of the Essex can commence!

Boyd Who

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Nice shop ... Are you going to finish the interior walls with drywall??    Oh...I,m not looking forward to getting closer to 50 either ..... :roll:

Bob..... :wink:

Thanks, Bob!
I eventually plan to finish the walls with either OSB or plywood. I want to make sure I know exactly how I want all the cupboards and such laid out before I do that, though. Probably won't happen for a few years. I want to rebuild the Essex first.

34ford

AHH, the smell of a new shop. Looks good. Nice place to hang out in the winters you have.

bob

GPster

Quote from: "Boyd Who"
I eventually plan to finish the walls with either OSB or plywood. I want to make sure I know exactly how I want all the cupboards and such laid out before I do that, though. Probably won't happen for a few years. I want to rebuild the Essex first.
When I had my garage built (metal building) I had the builder put the suggested vapor barrier insulation blanket on the walls. I was concerned with my tendency to be sloppy and that I would tear the vapor barrier or burn holes in it with metal sparks from the arc welder, grinder or cutting torch so I covered the walls with peg board. That way I can hang tools up where ever as I find it convienent and I can find fastening places easily when I want to solidly fasten a shelf unit or such. GPster

Boyd Who

That's not a bad idea, GPster. I have a ton of pegboard taking up space in my storage building. I'll have to look into that.