Rebuilding the 348

Started by 58Apache, November 27, 2010, 07:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Well I KNOW it has a freeze plug leaking, and there's a vibration somewhere...not sure why. It doesn't run too bad other than that but I am in the middle of a major tear down and frame swap out. I will follow this by stripping down the body to bare metal, do the minor patch work/repair needed, body work and paint it myself.

It has a manual tranny. Haven't traced that vibration down yet but the condition of the clutch as well as the engine are unknown other than functioning "fairly well".

wayne petty

freeze plugs are easy....

you can also do a compression test with the engine on the ground.. blocked up..  or mounted on an engine stand...

Hooley

58 Apache, I have a 348 that I built last winter to sell. It is a complete engine from carb to pan. No starter at the price I am going to give you.  Please PM me if you would like more info.  

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

bowtietillidie

58 apache    Wayne said something about maybe I might still have a W  motor ring compressor .   I am sorry to say I don't  it was sold long ago along with some other W motor tools I made.   I live in Coshocton Oh it is about 160 miles from Dayton I am retired now so if you are serious about building a W. Motor we could get together for a build . But I see Holey has a W ready to go .    This might be a better way to go if you don't want to spend a lot of time gathering parts and even more time getting something worked out between you and I(as far as time and place)    Also if any body wants to make a poor mans W motor ring compressor I will try to describe what I done using a standard ring compressor and a little hillbilly engineering
BOWTIETILLIDIE