speedometer drive gears TH350

Started by mrloboy, November 17, 2010, 04:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I am running a TH350 Trans in a 49 Ford with an 8" Ford diff with 3.00:1 gear ratio and 215/75R15 tires (27.5" diameter) At 60 MPH I am running between 5-10% faster than the speedometer is registering. Currently the drive gear is black and the driven is green.
In the past I have seen a chart with the different driven and drive gears listed and what to use to fine tune the registration. Anyone out there have this information? Thanks, Rick

Crosley.In.AZ

Watch the diameter of the drive gear.

A t-350 gear from a chevy is larger (slightly)...   than a t-350 for a Buick - Pontiac - caddy - Olds
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

Quote from: "mrloboy"I am running a TH350 Trans in a 49 Ford with an 8" Ford diff with 3.00:1 gear ratio and 215/75R15 tires (27.5" diameter) At 60 MPH I am running between 5-10% faster than the speedometer is registering. Currently the drive gear is black and the driven is green.
In the past I have seen a chart with the different driven and drive gears listed and what to use to fine tune the registration. Anyone out there have this information? Thanks, Rick

Rick, I had the same problem. Chevy did not have a rear end ratio of 3.00 so I know of no combination of stock GM gears that will work.
I did find in the Street Scene mag a Speedometer co. Rowand Speedometer Co. 727-410-6352. They sell a gear ratio adapter. I don't know how mush it cost.
My solution was to get a programmable Speedo. You pull up to a mile marker push the button, drive to the next mile marker, push the button again and the speedo is programmed. If you decide to change gear ratio just re-calibrate and you have a correct speedo.

Rick

Rick