Oil priming a brand new engine question

Started by 41woodie, November 01, 2010, 04:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

On an SBC which way do you spin the oil pump to prime the system prior to initial startup?  Or does it matter?

wayne petty

Right... clockwise..

one thing... on a V8 chevy....

to properly prime the motor .. a priming tool needs to be used...

as the oil flow is around the base of the distributer housing..

i normally.. with the engine together..  disable the ignition system..   with the oil filter off... crank the engine for a few seconds with the filter off till i get some oil out..

then screw the filter on.. crank it until the oil light goes out..

now its ready to start

if you are running an HEI distributer.. big or small...  when you put it in.. you can dead stick time it.. by setting the damper marks to the base timing...   then lining up the tips of the pick up coil and reluctor..

where they line up exactly.. is where the ignition will fire... this allows you to start the motor without the need to turn the distributer to get it running...

41woodie

Thanks, I thought that was correct but a lot of problems start out with  "I thought"

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "41woodie".......a lot of problems start out with  "I thought"

You could probably fund a lot of project if you produced and sold T shirts and signs with that emblazened on them. :D
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

41woodie

Quote from: Uncle Bob
Quote from: "41woodie".......a lot of problems start out with  "I thought"

You could probably fund a lot of project if you produced and sold T shirts and signs with that emblazened on them. :D[/quote

Bob, that's not a bad idea.  It's a continuation of the old saw about how many trips to the emergency room start out with someone saying "Hey guys, watch this".

41woodie

Quote from: wayne petty
if you are running an HEI distributer.. big or small...  when you put it in.. you can dead stick time it.. by setting the damper marks to the base timing...   then lining up the tips of the pick up coil and reluctor..

where they line up exactly.. is where the ignition will fire... this allows you to start the motor without the need to turn the distributer to get it running...[/quote-]

Wayne, I'm using a priming tool so that's covered.  I had already come to the conclusion that pre-setting the static timing by dialing it in and then installing the HEI to #1 position was the way to go.  Seems easier than sawing back and forth on the distributor trying to get the engine started and running.  Good to hear someone backup my thinking.