undecided

Started by moose, October 30, 2010, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

I am undecided which grill shell to run Deuce or Model A

If I run the A shell there will be a mesh grill insert...

Harry

I'm tired of seeing '32 rad shells stuck on everything.

slocrow

Are you planning to paint the A if you use it or go with chrome? And, 32's are nice but something novel might be just what the DR ordered.......
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat46

Hard to say without headlights. I like the '32 shells with small "streetrod" lights and the Model A shells with the bigger original type lights.

zzford

I do like the 32 shells and grilles, but they are way too common. I don't like the later "A" shells at all. Got any other options?

kb426

The most obvious thought is there's a reason 32's are so common. It looks good. As to an answer, until you layout the hood and grille line sitting on the car, I don't think you'll know which is best. As has been stated, it's about the complete package of lights and grille more than not. I suggest that you look at pics such as on carnut.com until you see what makes you smile.
TEAM SMART

GPster

I had an "A" coupe and I used a painted '30 shell (availability and cost}. I was happy with the look because the '32 adds the look of added length to the nose which is already longer than stock and the extra curved surface doesn't fit to the simplicity of the "A" body. The two piece '31 gets a little busier and doesn't look as clean painted as the '30 does. The mesh shouldn't be  painted the same color. It should just be black to let the shape of the shell stand out. That's what I ended up with and I was happy but I'm not any guru of style. GPster

jaybee

They both look good for sure.  The '32 shell is especially good on a car that's a little on the sophisticated side.  The A shell with exposed radiator is a great look for a raw, all business car.  For me the A with insert is a nice compromise though I've seen the spiderweb treatment enough that it doesn't seem fresh or novel.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Danimal

What? No tractor grille option?

Carnut

Heh, heh, way back in 65 when I first built my 31 Ford Model A Coupe Hiboy I ran without a rad shell for a couple months until I found a shell to put  on it.
And I was embarrassed the whole time without a shell. I was also running the stock big headlights on cutdown pieces of the headlight bar on each side of it. They were also quite embarrassing, but I made do with them.

Unfortunately the shell I found was a 29 Model Shell and I was running a 46 Ford Radiator, so it didn't exactly fit well, I just used clothes hanger to hold it on. And again even with the shell on it I was embarrassed, but at least I had a shell.

About a year later I managed to come across a stock 31 Model A radiator and a 31 Shell, which were period correct for my body. I felt a lot more respectable with the 31 Shell and in some ways preferred it to the 30 model shell. I always had the argument, for what it was worth, that I had the correct shell for the body.

But still in the back of my mine was a desire to have a 32 Shell, I even managed to get ahold of one in pretty sad shape, but before I got around to putting it on my car, I got an offer I couldn't refuse to sell it.

I still think the 32 Shell just looks best and apparently a lot of other folks in the world do as well.

Carnut

Now that I think about it, one reason I never had a 32 Shell on my coupe might have been I was jealous of my Brother In Law Jonny Pate having had one on his 30 Model A Coupe.

Heh, heh, that little kid hiding behind the tire on the blue coupe is now the owner of my 31 Coupe.

UGLY OLDS

I think the Deuce shell looks better on a car with a hood ...Even fenderless, if a hood is to be used ,I like the deuce shell better ... 8)
  In either case , watch the mounting height ...  It may be the camera angle but to me, in both photos , the shells look too "high".... :?

Why do you plan to use an insert in the A shell ??   To me, that makes them look "Busy" or Cluttered" .... :?  But then, what do I know about style  :?:   I drive an "Ugly Olds" ...... :roll:

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

32coupe

I like the look of the 32 grill, it matches the chassis :wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

river1

with the 28/29 model A i like either the A or the deuce shell depending on the build style.

with the 30/31 A i LIKE the deuce shell best.

my humble opinion

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.