Drill rod for baja bug cage????

Started by Ed ke6bnl, October 23, 2010, 11:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

This is the add I found and the price seems right if it will work for my not too serious baja bug I am building, I still want to extend the front end 8 in from it present location and  the tunnel  will be removed that attaches the original beam and it will use dom to attach the new beam. but for some of the rest of the cage material I was thinking of using the material in this add

I am selling 6,500 feet of 1 1/2" OD (1/8" wall) steel pipe / tubing for $0.55 per lf. (24' lengths). I also have 1,440 feet of 1 1/4" OD material for $0.45 per foot. Works well for corrals, panels, gates, chutes, round pens, arenas and continuous fencing. Low carbon steel, welds great. Also 30 heavy duty 12' panels available for $110.00 each, not the light weight panels like you find in the feed stores. Please call Steve for more info @ (Bakersfield) Delivery available

DO YA THINK IT WILL WORK THANKS  Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

wayne petty

there are so many types of tubing...  

just curious... is your baja still equipped with a VW front axle..??? that bolts on in 4 places to the front of the body...

if so... could you build something out of tubing like an aircraft engine mount..
bolt this to the front of the chassis to extend
             the mounting of the axle beams. this is a side view.
O=====(
..\ ......./          
.....\..../  
...../....\        
O=====(

sort of an extension bracket... i don't know how you could do the steering...  i have a hydraulic steering control valve a former boss took off a crashed LoveBug that was sent to scrap...

did the small plane come down close to your yard the other day...

enjenjo

If it is indeed steel tubing and not black iron pipe it will be fine for what you want to do.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "wayne petty"there are so many types of tubing...  

just curious... is your baja still equipped with a VW front axle..??? that bolts on in 4 places to the front of the body...

if so... could you build something out of tubing like an aircraft engine mount..
bolt this to the front of the chassis to extend
             the mounting of the axle beams. this is a side view.
O=====(
..\ ......./          
.....\..../  
...../....\        
O=====(

sort of an extension bracket... i don't know how you could do the steering...  i have a hydraulic steering control valve a former boss took off a crashed LoveBug that was sent to scrap...

did the small plane come down close to your yard the other day...

The plane crashed about 5 miles from my home. The neighbor kid was next door to were it crashed and was one of the first on the scene. He is a pilot and he took me out for my first flight on a small airplane a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed that a lot and that would not stop me from going out again, more dangerous going to work on my 42 mile commute.

We built a pretty serious Baja for my boy all tubed in Dom with king coil overs.  there is a whole lot of stress on the front end, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc.  I am building mine on a budget from his and his father in laws old buggy parts, the best  in there day. Warrior beam, beefed up spindle, heavier sway bars, bilstein reservoir shocks, there old suspension seats, lights, wide 5 al. wheels and tires. I will be putting on a rack and pinion steering box,still cost a lot to put together and I plan on retiring in a few weeks and want to keep the play costs down.

I appreciate the advice and suggestion ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,