AZ rodders

Started by zzebby, October 03, 2010, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Did some house cleaning in my shop and have decided to get rid of years of rod magazines.  Street rodder and rod action back to the early 70's and a few others.
There are 6 or 7 rubbermaid boxes, so too heavy to ship.  Will deliver to anyone in the Phoenix area.
Free to good home, like a puppy.

Okiedokie

I recently had the same thought, then realized I would rather re-read the old ones than read most of the new ones. I believe I will not renew subs and began doing just that.

WZ JUNK

Last week I loaded a wheelbarrow full and set them in the center of the shop hoping that someone would come in and take them.  I will leave them there for another week or so, and then they will go off to the recycler.

I guess I am not the only one who is cleaning house.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

timkins

Me too. I guess nobody wants them. Off to the recycler for final burial.

Harry

I took mine to a swap meet and put a "FREE" sign on them. They went quickly.

junkyardjeff

I done the same a couple years ago but kept 80 on back.

chimp koose

Before you toss them, go through and remove the good pictures. I had a bunch plastic laminated and they now cover one wall in my garage. They will never yellow and can be wiped clean when needed.

GPster

When I got out of the hospital after my accident ('93) I spent some time going through my magazines. All the motorcycle books went first because I didn't want that reminder in the mail every month. Then I went back to the car magazines that went clear back to '73. The Street Scenes that went back to '71 I advertised in their classifieds and sent them to a new NSRA member in Washington state so that he'd have a record of what had gone on in NSRA history. The other magazines I arranged them by title and date and I was going to index them by articles of tech and by featured vehicles by make, manufacturer and model. That was before my introduction to computers and the longer it drug on and the longer I couldn't drive the whole project got very depressing. I offered them to a Veterans Hospital but they never did anything about it. I offered them to a prison for their library but they didn't want the job of scanning them for drugs. I tried going to swap meets looking up vendors and for most of them they were duplicates and would over-load their stock. By then I had gotten a computer and found an Aussie that wanted to try what I had planned with the indexing and it was a plus for him because they were American magazines. I offered him the magazines for free but then we started looking at shipping. It would cost him $125.00 to ship them to the west coast and he found a compartment on a boat that would have some room but that would cost him $750.00. This was in USA currency rates and it looked too expensive so it was dropped. I had a friend that was going to a big Swap Meet in Detroit and I asked him to try the dealers there for me. He did but the story continued. I think he sensed how this deal was getting me further down because he and his son made a 550 mile "Road Trip" and got them out of my sight. I don't know what he did with them but I hope they didn't work on his head the way they did with mine. Barrett Jackson doesn't publish a book about what they might be worth so their value was highest when you paid for them and they might not be worth the trouble to anybody else. GPster

Carnut

Well now, I'm actually making money off old magazines now.

It started out pretty well last october on ebay with the CarToons magazines selling for ridiculous prices and selling 50's Hot Rod and Motor Trend magazines.

After the first of the year the ebay sales pretty much stopped. Had been selling the 50's Hot Rod and Motor Trend Mags for 1.99 ea or so plus shipping. It was kinda like making money off of stuff that would be going into the trash. But the competition was fierce on ebay, if you check now there are tons of Hot Rod mags for sale.

While I was selling on ebay I also setup some pages on a website for magazine sales. It took a while but apparently somewhere this spring the word got out and I got a rush of folks buying mags from my website. Since then sales have been fairly good, Getting one or two mags sold a week, which is better than nothing and again gets me paid for stuff that would be going in the trash.

http://carnut.com/store/mags/mags.html

Now the only mags that are really selling are Hot Rod, Car Craft and Motor Trend. Just occasionally do other names get a sale. The other brand magazines seem to only sell to someone who had a car featured in that particular mag.

Anyhow, sales have been good enough that I might consider replenishing my stock. So I'll offer to buy any of the top 3 names for like .50 ea for pre 70s and .10 ea for later plus shipping costs.

I'm really not a business person and not sure how much I can afford to buy low and then sell high, or how much I can afford to keep 'in stock' until it sells. Originally I considered my sales as a 'pre estate' sale but now that I'm still around and things are selling fairly well, I guess I'm ready to gamble a bit if anyone is interested in dealing with me.

Heh, heh, please don't laugh too much at my offer.

zzebby

They are mostly rod action and street rodder and only back to about 1970.  There are a few Hot Rod and car craft but not many.  There is also some old hemmings and some of tex smiths Gazette and some periodicals etc.
They're free but I think you won't like the cost of shipping to Wichita.

Carnut

Quote from: "zzebby"They are mostly rod action and street rodder and only back to about 1970.  There are a few Hot Rod and car craft but not many.  There is also some old hemmings and some of tex smiths Gazette and some periodicals etc.
They're free but I think you won't like the cost of shipping to Wichita.

Well, if you are willing to pack them up, any chance we can get an idea what the shipping might be?

I can say if any have cutouts or pages missing or markings on the covers those should just be thrown away.

Looks like I may be 'in the business' without really realizing it.

phat rat

If they are packed two mags side by side in a box made especially for them you can get over a hundred per box and keep them under the 70# limit of the USPS. I did this a few years ago and shipped to San Francisco for around $50 per box
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carnut

Quote from: "phat rat"If they are packed two mags side by side in a box made especially for them you can get over a hundred per box and keep them under the 70# limit of the USPS. I did this a few years ago and shipped to San Francisco for around $50 per box

That would be a doable deal for me if zzebby can check it out.

GPster

The boxes that my wife's office gets copier paper in worked for me. The magazines will stand on end in them and add to the stiffness of the package. If you don't mind traveling to the nearest bus station, Greyhound sometimes has a good price for shipping. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

I have thrown out about 200  old car  magazines this yr..  Sold a few on eBay, most did not sell. I had some mags on classified section here too.. no interest in them

I will not live long enough for the current mags I receive to be worth anything.  I read them and they go into the trash in 90 days or less.

I have no car mag subscriptions... only 1 motorcycle subscription.  When the cycle mag runs out, I figure I am done with subscriptions
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)