Installing door windows in a 40 Ford

Started by Topsterguy, September 22, 2010, 11:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

So, it was time to install the door glass etc in the 40 PU ! Didn't go well! :evil:  So far haven't figured out how to get the "rollers" on the winders in the track on the glass! Tried pretty much everything........and now I'll be getting new glass for one side in a day or so!! :evil:    Anyone know the trick to doing this????
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

rooster

Quote from: "Topsterguy"So, it was time to install the door glass etc in the 40 PU ! Didn't go well! :evil:  So far haven't figured out how to get the "rollers" on the winders in the track on the glass! Tried pretty much everything........and now I'll be getting new glass for one side in a day or so!! :evil:    Anyone know the trick to doing this????

Cant really remember But I think the glass channel has a location for the rolls to enter, you have to use the winder until it meets that position. Thats how it was done on the 37 ford coupe.
Denny

Topsterguy

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "Topsterguy"So, it was time to install the door glass etc in the 40 PU ! Didn't go well! :evil:  So far haven't figured out how to get the "rollers" on the winders in the track on the glass! Tried pretty much everything........and now I'll be getting new glass for one side in a day or so!! :evil:    Anyone know the trick to doing this????

Cant really remember But I think the glass channel has a location for the rolls to enter, you have to use the winder until it meets that position. Thats how it was done on the 37 ford coupe.
Denny

Yeah, I was just looking at it again and it looks like the window goes into the "fuzzy chaneles" first and figure out how to hold it up, then with the winder loose slip one roller into the track from the middle, then slide that one toward the end and slip the other roller into the track, then bolt the winder mech back in, all while trying to hold it all up! Hmmmmm, looking at the result to my finger from the attempt today......I guess it coulda used a stitch!!!

:shock:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

rooster

Quote from: "Topsterguy"

Denny

Yeah, I was just looking at it again and it looks like the window goes into the "fuzzy chaneles" first and figure out how to hold it up, then with the winder loose slip one roller into the track from the middle, then slide that one toward the end and slip the other roller into the track, then bolt the winder mech back in, all while trying to hold it all up! Hmmmmm, looking at the result to my finger from the attempt today......I guess it coulda used a stitch!!!

Its been a long time but I think I used gray tape to the glass and threded it up threw the upper wiskers, I do remember it was a pain.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Topsterguy"

Denny

Its been a long time but I think I used gray tape to the glass and threded it up threw the upper wiskers, I do remember it was a pain.

That's what I was thinking - duct tape the glass where it needs to be, then wrestle it all together! I'll have a run at it tomorrow after my figer heals a bit!

chimp koose

Could you maybe hold the glas up with a couple of those cheap suction cup glass lifter thingamajigs.

papastoyss

I keep a wedge shaped piece of soft wood in my toolbox just for such jobs . Works great, doesn't mar glass or cat whiskers.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Topsterguy

Quote from: "chimp koose"Could you maybe hold the glas up with a couple of those cheap suction cup glass lifter thingamajigs.

LOL, good idea, but the way my luck's been so far with it don't yuh just know they'd let go and the glass would wind up in a heap in the bottom of the door! :cry:

enjenjo

This whole deal gets a lot easier if the door is off, laying flat on a stand.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

I'm gonna need this info soon. I chopped the lid on my '41 cab four inches a few years ago and left the glass in one door. there's only one way to get it out now. :oops:  Then i can use this info to install the new stuff.

Topsterguy

Got - one done one to go ( as soon as I get the new $#$%^ window from the glass guy!)  Slipped the window in and into the channels, put it where the bottom would be easy to work on and hung it there with a piece of heavy coat hanger slung under the glass / bottom channel and bent over the top of the door, then slipped the winder mech into the door. Slipped one roller in then the other, then raised it all to line up the winder mount holes and screwed it in!  Amazing how things go when you sit back and think about it for a few minutes FIRST, then fly at it!    Thanks all!