MSD expert?

Started by 47convert, August 30, 2010, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

Hi guys. I don't get too much time to come here often but when I need expert help I know this is always the place to ask. I've got a complete MSD ignition in my 66 ElCamino (283, automatic), Distributor, coil, Digital6 controller and it's worked great for years, but lately I've had a bit of trouble. It was wired by someone unknown to me before I got the car 3 years ago and the 12 volt supply that arms the unit was not well connected (solder/ propper compression fittings etc.) and developed a loose connection. The car started running rough and actually cut out a couple of times before I could get home and it actually stalled - it would start but die as soon as the key was released. I ran a temporary wire and drove home but it ran really bad after that. I thought maybe I had fouled some plugs and installed new ones but that didn't help at all. Before I change back to my old point distributer I wondered if anyone had knowledge of this problem - could a loose connection here cause the MSD to fail? The #10 wire that feeds the unit was tight and connected directly to the battery all the time it was just the small Ignition feed that came loose.

enjenjo

Yes it can. Send it back and they can fix it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Off hand it sounds like the ignition feed had broken, disconnected, or the switch is bad.  The fact that it starts and runs when you hold the key in the start position shows that you are running off the Start side of the solenoid.  That is designed to bypass the ballast wire to gived full 12 volts to the coil.  You might have a bad ballast wire also.  The first step is to check the voltage to the + side of the coil with the ignition turned on, but not in the start position.  If nothing, then check the ignition circuit.  The other thing, is those AL6 units are known for failing, I have a bad one on the shelf in the shop that came off a race car I worked on.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

Those modules are also sensitive to heat. So many guys mount them on the firewall right above a header. That is NOT the thing to do.

I stopped to help a guy on the Power Tour this year. His problem was a bad MSD 6 box.

I have a $500 credit coming from MSD that I need to use by the end of the year. My current toy is a diesel. I don't know what to get.

Carnut

That's exactly the same story with my 40 Ford, complete MSD ignition, A6box, distributor and blaster coil.

Starts fine and runs with key in start, but dies when released to run position.

Wondering if I can just bypass the box and run from a hot wire like it does at start? Is the A6 Box needed? I would kinda like to keep the dist as is, if I could get by without the box.

But I am also thinking I have an inline fuse in the line somewhere that I need to tinfoil and see if that will work.

Course mine went bad back in January with new zero temps and I haven't really taken the time to go out and track it down.

47convert

I probably didn't explain this in enough detail.The wire connection for the twelve volts that arms the unit was bad. I found this and replaced it right away. The car runs now but misses badly. My question was could this have damaged the Digital 6 + control. Thanx Frank, I'll call them and find out how to go about sending it in for repair.

Carnut

Well, I just went out and double checked my MSD box has been getting electricity when the key is in both start and run positions, so I guess my MSD Box isn't working correctly.  

Still wonder why it worked for starting but not for running.

Must be two separate circuits inside the box or something.

Humm, wonder if I could get a spare box off ebay real cheap?

Not real happy not knowing for sure the box itself is dead.

58Apache

I just noticed MSD has a page on Facebook. Looks like some good info there for guys having issues.

47convert

Took the car for a ride today and it seems all is healed. I didn't do anything but re-connect the 12 volt wire from the key switch and I did that as soon as I got it back home that day. Hard to understand. Things like this usually come back to haunt you. It's running great again with lots of power so I'm leving it as is.