Bearings in the chev 4.3L V6

Started by taxpyer, August 26, 2010, 03:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxpyer

In the next day or so I'll be tearing down a V6 in my 89 van. :x  Is there  an update to the bearings that will give me more service than the stock ones I'm replacing now? What causes the bearings in these motors to fail? :?   The engine code is "Z". Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. :wink:  The van is 21 yrs old but it only has 150,000K on it. Any performance tips for it other than replacing the motor with a 350?
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

tomslik

Quote from: "taxpyer"In the next day or so I'll be tearing down a V6 in my 89 van. :x  Is there  an update to the bearings that will give me more service than the stock ones I'm replacing now? What causes the bearings in these motors to fail? :?   The engine code is "Z". Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. :wink:  The van is 21 yrs old but it only has 150,000K on it. Any performance tips for it other than replacing the motor with a 350?

i'm not aware of ANY bearing problems with the 4.3's.
intake leaking coolant into the oil?
that'll kill 'em...
(i'm assuming you keep on top of the oil changes and nobody has used roloc's to clean gaskets...))
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

taxpyer

thanks for the response. Yes the oil changes are regular. I'm finding that this is a very common problem for these older engines. Oh well, just put in the best and runem It seems the mains are the first to go on these. A big consideration when buying a used one.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later