57 Chevy Rear End fix or replace?? $$$$

Started by BFS57, August 24, 2010, 08:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

The 8.8" out of a Ford Ranger/Explorer will also be the right width though the perches have to be moved, and you get disk brakes in the bargain.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

BFS57

Hello;
Yesterday after work, I spent some time trying to find this problem. I jacked up the front of the car and took each tire and tried to see if there was any looseness. didn't seem have any. Then I moved to the rear end, jacked it up, put it on stands, ran the car and put it in gear. I then got under with a piece of wood and placed it where the bearing is but didn't hear anything!? I had  previously looked at the driveshaft. didn't see anything wrong, didn't feel any looseness there.
When I drove home, the sound was there, taunting me to find it. (my ears aren't so good anymore) so Today, I will drive around with a buddy and see if he hears where the sound is coming from.

Bruce

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

BFS57

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Tire noise?
Hello;
I am beginning to think that may be my problem.

Bruce

phat rat

Quote from: "Carnut"Used to be 9" generally had the ford/mopar 4.5" bolt circle. Don't know if they ever went to the Pickup 5.5" or the Lincoln Mercury 5.0".

Tri 5 Chevys have 4.75" bolt circle.

Also the early Olds and Pont rears had 5.0" bolt circle.

Early Bronco had 5 on 5
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

GPster

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Carnut"Used to be 9" generally had the ford/mopar 4.5" bolt circle. Don't know if they ever went to the Pickup 5.5" or the Lincoln Mercury 5.0".
Early Bronco had 5 on 5
Because this talk seems to be going this way, a simple question. Did Ford go to a 4 1/4" 5 lug bolt circle in the '90s? I thought maybe I had located another aluminum spare tire wheel from a guy that is parting out a '90 "Super Bird". Email from him confirmed that it is a 15" wheel but he says it's supposed to be a 4.25 bolt circle and that all the '90 and newer T birds were. My plastic wheel lug template is hard to see on specialty wheels with larger holes for shouldered lug nuts. If his information is wrong then it's worth a trip to see if it matches the wheel I already have. If he's right I'll save the trip and $50.00.Also, before I go to look, he has the front suspension for this "Bird"too. Is this like the Crown Victoria cross member where it un-bolts as a whole "clip"? If this doesn't catch anyone's eye then maybe I'll ask again on CHAT tonight. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "phat rat"
Early Bronco had 5 on 5
Because this talk seems to be going this way, a simple question. Did Ford go to a 4 1/4" 5 lug bolt circle in the '90s? I thought maybe I had located another aluminum spare tire wheel from a guy that is parting out a '90 "Super Bird". Email from him confirmed that it is a 15" wheel but he says it's supposed to be a 4.25 bolt circle and that all the '90 and newer T birds were. My plastic wheel lug template is hard to see on specialty wheels with larger holes for shouldered lug nuts. If his information is wrong then it's worth a trip to see if it matches the wheel I already have. If he's right I'll save the trip and $50.00.Also, before I go to look, he has the front suspension for this "Bird"too. Is this like the Crown Victoria cross member where it un-bolts as a whole "clip"? If this doesn't catch anyone's eye then maybe I'll ask again on CHAT tonight. GPster

Yes, they changed to bolt pattern, it is actually 5 by 100mm.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I was being lazy but then I looked it up on Tech. Funny how that size is also listed for some Volvos. Isn't that what spindles and hub we have? I'm going to try and meet him this week and compare what I already have with his. These wheels are supposed to be Super T-bird only. Did they have that option before '89? Should I latch on to this wheel even if it doesn't match mine to increase the liklihood of finding a match for one? GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"I was being lazy but then I looked it up on Tech. Funny how that size is also listed for some Volvos. Isn't that what spindles and hub we have? I'm going to try and meet him this week and compare what I already have with his. These wheels are supposed to be Super T-bird only. Did they have that option before '89? Should I latch on to this wheel even if it doesn't match mine to increase the liklihood of finding a match for one? GPster

No, our hubs are 4 1/2" pattern.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

That's OK. I bombed out from both directions. Took more time to look at the wheel I already have. Even though it looks like the picture that Fat Cat posted for me on the other forum the wheel definitely is a 4 3/4" lug pattern. So far I'm ahead of the game. I paid $15.00 for one wrong wheel but I'll keep from spending $50.00 for another one. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
UPDATE; Did the deed today. After work Friday, I pulled the axles and took them home with me. Waiting for me at home was a package of 2 rear wheel bearings from Eckler's ($54.99 ea).
Next morning took all the stuff to a local garage where they took off the old bearings and pressed on the new ones.
Then I drove to my work and installed the axles, drums, and tires and finished (driving the 57 home about 11:30!
Thanks for all the input but for now, it seems this was the fastest easiest fix, for now!!

Bruce