Terminal corrosion-battery

Started by slocrow, August 24, 2010, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Am I correct that corrosion around the positive terminal is a sign of a leak at that point? I replaced the battery in the daily over two years ago and it's been corroding since new. I'm not sure of the cause as the old one never had this problem. Naturally it shorts out at the most inconvenient times.
What can I do to prevent this build up of corrosion at the terminal? Do we still cover it with grease? Is it a manufacturing problem?
Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

I have had excellent results with battery anti corrosion washers. I get them at the local NAPA store, but most auto parts carry them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzford

The washers do work very well. I use CRC Battery Protector.

Rrumbler

The last stuff I got from the parts store is called "Anti-Cor"; it's a grease in a tube, sort of pink in color.  I have gotten lazy in the last few years, but this stuff has allowed me to get that way.  I use a stainless steel brush on the terminals and work them to a clean shine, then grease them with a very light coat of the grease and sort of work it into the surfaces of the post and the rings around the base, covering all the way down to the joint where the terminal and the rings are fastened to the case.  This will also plug up any pinhole leaks around that joint.  Do the same to the terminals, fasten them reasonably tight, and they last a long time, often over a year before anything starts showing up around the negative, and longer for the positive.  Of course, I live in a very dry climate, and corrosion is not as virulent in this environment; in a humid area, it will probably need more attention, like every six months or so.

Corrosion is going to happen, it's the nature of the beast; but regular attention will help keep it at bay.  We maintained our big commercial batteries, 60 or 120 cell glass jar units, on a regular monthly basis, and never had a corrosion problem of any significance.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

58Apache

When I was stationed on Okinawa the Japanese just used wheel bearing grease. I don't see why a dielectric grease wouldn't work?

enjenjo

The anticorrosion washers, cost like $3. The ones on the Marlin have been there for 10 years, on the second battery in that time. No maintenance needed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ONE37TUDOR

I am told that excessive corrosion could be a sign of a weak ground somewhere in the system. You might try adding additional grounds between the engine and chassis and the body and the chassis and just see if it helps?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Beck

I to have had the corrosion issues. On daily drivers where I don't care what it looks like I use heavy grease. Since I don't want to get smeared up with it every time I'm under the hood I wrap the posts with heavy plastic and tie it in place. It's ugly, but it works. If you already have corrosion just covering it with grease won't get the job done. It must be cleaned first.