351W fuel injection

Started by mrloboy, August 20, 2010, 08:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I have an '84 Mercury 351W engine going in a '50 Mercury. The engine has a venturi carb on it. I would like to upgrade to electronic fuel injection or a 4 barrel carb system. I like the idea of the EFI, but am under-schooled as to the technology. Anyone here that could help would be fantastic. I looked at the Edelbrock sight and liked what I saw, but not sure what the other options may be. I also don't know about the price tag attached, but we can work with that.

If any of you guys have experience in this field, I would surely welcome your comments! Thanks, Rick

wayne petty

a few things....

how good at electronics are you ...    got a lap top PC???

its going to be so much easier to drop a conventional motor craft 2 bbl carb on... and a duraspark distributer.. with vacuum advance...

the 84 7200 VV carbs have a big control valve on the right side... that controls the air bleed of the carb...  to change the fuel mixture..

earlier 2700 VV carbs without it work great if you understand them...

try to find a 78 E150 with a 351W for a carb ... and a distributer.. so you don't have to worry about jetting the carb...   you may have a difference in the manifold to spacer gasket..  i will have to check..
this will get your engine running in a few hours..  verses a LOT of hours..

79 and up carbs may be computer controlled..

a holley economaster 2300 carb if you can find one will work great.. for fuel economy...

if you want to go fuel injection..   there are so many ways... to go...

i just saw an ad for one that is self tuning.. after a base line calibration..  i will check around...  

if you are planning on headers... be sure they have an Oxygen sensor port in each collector..  new fuel injection systems require oxygen sensors...

i am taking that 5.8 came from a crown vic.. or a grand marquis police special...

there is a way... to install a GM TBI system off a 5.7 chevy truck and have it work really well...  self tuning..   junk yard parts...  diagnostic port..... parts at every autoparts store..

only thin you might have to buy might be a carb manifold to 3 bolt TBI adaptor...  or drill your own in an hour..

only draw back..  getting the AOD throttle valve cable pull ratio exact with a GM TBI... and mounting the bracket for the TV casing..

some of the 5.8 equipped trucks came with a 4180- holley 4 bbl carb and duraspark ignition with vacuum advance..

don't turn loose of your variable venturi carb until you can duplicate the center of the throttle shaft distance to the center of the TV cable hook up....     you might also want to measure the angles.. at idle.. and wot... so you can get the carb or other throttle body correct..

these are just thoughts from my twisted mind...

the 84 with the carbs have a duraspark remote module distibuter.. 3 wires to a plug and a vacuum advance..

these can be wired to work with the 7 pin GM HEI module to fire the TBI ECM...

does yours have a vacuum advance on it?????

mrloboy

Thanks Wayne. That gives me a lot of options to consider.

The Motorcraft carb swap is likely the simplist solution and by far the least expensive. I do have a laptop and fairly versed at using it, but maybe I will only complicate a simple solution! I hadn't even thought about the TV cable geometry. This transmission uses a rod from the carb to the throttle valve. Am I missing something? I haven't worked with this engine/trans combination before. Tryin' ta learn!

The engine came from a Grand Marquis and ran fine. I understand that the venturi carbs can be a bear to keep working properly, hence the decision to upgrade, As for the distributor, I can't recall if it has the vacuum advance or not. I will check when I get in the shop this morning.

Would I be wise to leave the original fuel and ignition pieces and just rebuild them when we redo the engine?  

My shop truck has a 5.7 with a TBI unit on it. I hadn't thought about adapting that to the Windsor. Like you say, there are lots of those around the country. I have a few sitting in my own back yard!

wayne petty

one thing....  look at the passenger side of the carb.... does it have a big electrical connector on it....  if it does.. its a feed back 7200... and needs a computer to adjust and fine tune the mixture...

if not.. its a 2700 and will work fine... as long as nobody messes with the adjustments..

the throttle rod to the transmission controls line pressure just like the 700R4... it will burn up in a few blocks if its NOT exact...

there maybe other ways to hook it up...

the main thing that has to be done to run the TBI is to hook the purple and orange wires from the duraspark distributer to the proper connectors on the GM7 pin module... and the black wire hooks to the heat sink the gm module needs to be mounted to... there is a 50 / 50 chance of getting the phasing correct... to get the spark to fire when the rotor is at the cap terminals...  instead of between them..  5 minutes to fix...

Old Blue

There is a guy who did a fuel injection on a Ford smallblock stroker 347 I believe it is.

He used Weber throttle bodies and a megasquirt computer.

The car he built is a locost  lotus seven style adaptation that he totally scratch built.

The build journal is posted here and is really impressive, true hot rodding all the way building one of these cars.

Lots of info to wade through, but I found it entertaining.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1586

Here's a cold start of the EFI equipped car

&feature=related

And a picture too, I want to build one !!!