Bad week for brakes

Started by enjenjo, August 09, 2010, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Last wednesday I had to replace the master cylinder on my big van. Friday the booster went bad on the Marlin. Tonight the brake light came on in my Bonneville. :shock:  I guess get it all out of the way at once.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

My Ranger needs brakes...can I bring it over? :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

58Apache

That reminds me, my friend Al went to the brake seminar at the Nats and they told him to change the fluid every two years. I understand it absorbs water, but does anyone actually do this?

They also told him that drilled and slotted rotors was a gimmick. That mass was more important to cooling?

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "58Apache"That reminds me, my friend Al went to the brake seminar at the Nats and they told him to change the fluid every two years. I understand it absorbs water, but does anyone actually do this?

They also told him that drilled and slotted rotors was a gimmick. That mass was more important to cooling?

Hmmm...I haven't changed brake fluid ever in two years, but have joked about it for a number of years.

I see a trend by big business:

Brake fluid always lasted until it leaked out.

Tires always lasted until you wore the rubber off the treads or had an encounter of some sort.

Your land line phone always worked unless there was a weather problem - now with the digital packages it works whenever it feels like it - just like a cell phone.

Another thread going here is the computer controlled warning lights, etc that require yacht payments to be offered up at the dealership of choice....

Consumers have become prey for big business instead of customers. It really ticks me off!!!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

So Charlie. Tell us what your inner feelings are.  :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

106k miles on the front brakes  of the Jetta, still in good shape.  Rear brake pads replaced at 94k miles.

Never seen rear brake worn out first
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

BFS57

Hello;
Just recently changed pads on our 02 Trail Blazer at 128,000 miles!!
The front pads that came off were thin as paper but did not touch the rotor so I only had to put on new pads!
Lifes good when the wife complains abouts sounds I can no longer hear!

Bruce

58Apache

But did you flush out the brake fluid and replace?

Carnut

humm, my 1977 Chevy Silverado Pickup I bought brand new still has the OEM factory brake fluid in it.

My 2002 PT Cruiser still has the original factory brake fluid in it after 9yrs.

My 40 Ford Tudor Sedan still has the silicon brake fluid in it from the last 2000 rebuild in it.

My 67 Dodge Charger still has the silicon brake fluid in it from the last brake job in 1999.

My 61 Chrysler still has the silicon brake fluid in it from 2008 brake job.

Guess I'm a bit in arrears for flushing my brake systems.

57larry

enjenjo

Pontiac brakes are torn apart, brake fluid looks like motor oil, old motor oil.

Arnold

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My Ranger needs brakes...can I bring it over? :lol:

Hey..me first! I have a 1966 GMC 960. (7.20 rear end gears 40" duals) Dual rear whl cyls. LOL..one of them has NO bleeder. (Bleed through design). Remote frame mounted booster. Enjenjoe said once that he just loved doing brakes on those vehicles.

enjenjo

QuoteEnjenjoe said once that he just loved doing brakes on those vehicles.

The most fouled up hydraulic brake design ever made. Exceeded only by the Bendix wedge air brake.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteEnjenjoe said once that he just loved doing brakes on those vehicles.

QuoteThe most fouled up hydraulic brake design ever made. Exceeded only by the Bendix wedge air brake.

Gee Frank ...You forgot about the Lucas Hyd dual cylinder models from the 90's??   We never messed around with parts ...It was more economical to replace complete backing plate assemblies ... :?

And whats wrong with the Bendix wedge brakes  :?:  :?:  :roll:  :roll:

Who remembers the FMVS 721 systems from the '70's  :?:

I remember a driver sitting on a railroad crossing waiting for the traffic to move ...Radio controlled gates activated .....Locked the brakes on the truck.......Ahhhhhhhh..........Progress......... :idea:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

QuoteAnd whats wrong with the Bendix wedge brakes    

Outside of the fact that they corrode up and quit working in 10,000 miles, nothing. :roll:

QuoteGee Frank ...You forgot about the Lucas Hyd dual cylinder models from the 90's?? We never messed around with parts ...It was more economical to replace complete backing plate assemblies ...  

Never had to mess with them, I guess I was lucky.

Our 121 brakes did just the opposite, they would not apply. :shock:  The rep said that was impossible, we told him we had seven in the yard like that.