Tire life

Started by reborn55, August 02, 2010, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Got my new T/A radials and thought about waiting till after Louisville to put them on. Was moving some wheels and tires around to get to some rallys to put the other T/A tires on that came off the 55 when I saw very unusual sight. One of the tires in the corner had literally blown apart. these tires came on my 55 in 1993--were new then--I drove on them for 6-7 years and then put new wheels and tires on the 55.(the tires that I just took off today). Had used these tires for rollers--had on a street rod for awhile and finally just put them in the corner. Put them back on a set of rallys in December--aired them up and put them in the corner. When I moved them yesterday--couldn't believe what I saw---So that even strengthened my outlook and had new tires put on the car this morning. Put the old T/A on another set of rally here and will see how long they last. I think I am glad I put the new tires on.

58 Yeoman

Yep...that air gets alot heavier when the tires are on their sides. :shock:
Should've had nitrogen in them...NOT.

You're not the first person I've heard of having problems with old tires.

We bought an '08 Subaru last year, and it had N2 in the tires, and the salesman said that we'd never have to worry about the tires.  A couple months later, the warning light came on, on the dash.  ALL the tires had the incorrect pressure, so I added air and threw away the green caps and put on chrome ones.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Okiedokie

I know of four guys who suffered body damage to their hot rods due to blowouts at highway speeds. Each was running older tires that looked perfect. I do believe there is something to the 6 year rule, even though it is hard to toss good looking tires with maybe 25,000 miles on them.

Inprimer

Thats a big problem, especially out here (west) between the road heat over 120+ and the sun getting to them, I buy new tires after 4-5 years not worth the headaches that will happen. BTW there is a tire "date of birth" on each tire, some tire place got popped for selling tires after their shelf life expired.

enjenjo

I had a pair of BFG tires, 7 years old, that both blew within a mile, with less than 100 miles on them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32coupe

It's not only over there either, just imagine how long it takes on a slow boat for tyres to get down under.

And it's no co-incidence that BFG seem to be high on the list of tyres that let go early.
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

river1

Quote from: "32coupe"It's not only over there either, just imagine how long it takes on a slow boat for tyres to get down under.

unfortunately since most tires are made in china :cry:  anymore you probably get them before us.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

The first time I heard about this, it was at least 6 years ago and the subject was motorhomes that spend alot of time parked and had almost no miles on the tires but several years age. I'm about to buy tires partially because of this and partially because I find it difficult to take off and not spin the tires. :lol:
TEAM SMART

reborn55

The tire that blew wasn't a T/A it was I believe a Revenger Radial.  Put the old T/A's on another set of rallys I had in the garage.  Will see how long they last.

Arnold

In Ontario (Can.) there was/is? talk of simply outlawing tires that are more than 10 years old.
Anyone heard of this problem with LT tires?..either 8 or 10 ply. I haven't.  I have some Firestone Transforce and some Bridgestone(same tread pattern as just about all tractor trailers on the drive wheels) 225/75/16. These are 80-100psi tires that have lots of tread left but are getting long tooth wise. I just don't feel like popping over $200 ea for my work van. LOl..I found(free)Michelin LTX's that were basically new but were over 15 y/o so I passed.

zzford

I have seen this a number of times. We had aDodge van at work that rarely got used. It blew out a number of Michelins as it sat in the lot. The tires had probably 90-95% wear life left, but failed due to age.

Uncle Bob

Not to belittle or deny the time/deterioration concerns, they're real, but that looks a lot like a broken belt.  Some of you may remember back in the '70s when belt technology was in it's comparative infancy, there was a lot of this kind of damage.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

rumrumm

Oh, man . . . So I need to toss by BFG's that only have 9000 miles on them? Dang!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Carnut

Looks like I just like to test fate.

the T/A' on my pickup are 25yrs old.

the T/A' on my 'new' PT Cruiser are 9 yrs old.

the cooper tires on my Chrysler are 16yrs old.

the cooper tires on the back of my Charger are 10yrs old.

the tires on the back of my 40 Ford are 30+ years old.

Heheh, the spare tire in my 77 Chevy Pickup is OEM spare.

Harry

There is a build date on the side of the tire. Even though the tire is new on the shelf, it could be 5 years old. Don't buy it.
Tires can absorb moisture and cause the steel belts to go rusty. There isn't the same amount of rubber in a tire now than there was years ago.
Any steel belted tire over 5 or 6 years old should be scrapped.