man i'm getting old

Started by river1, August 01, 2010, 04:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i was out doing some welding yesterday, and was having trouble seeing the bead thru the helmet. now i have been using "reader" glasses for a few years now and was using them to weld, but still had the problem. finally i switched to a "cheater" lens in the helmet :shock: WHAT a difference, was like night and day.

sigh, just another sign of getting old i guess.

later jim

BTW i'm still youger than most of you :roll:  :lol:
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Leon

I have a problem with no glasses being not enough and the cheater lense being too much.  Maybe I need to get a lense inbetween.  I've noticed several things I do on cars don't seem to work the way it used to!

Crosley.In.AZ

Fact of life it seems..

I learned around the early - mid 40s the eye balls start to resist focusing.

I use the cheater lens in my helmet, they work great.  I also wear bi-focal safety glasses that work well for close up work at the bench

Most folks seem to have no knowledge on eye sight conditions.  When I had my eyes laser'd back to 20/20 , all the "smart asks" at work would hold something up to my face so "I could see it"  ...  

I would explain I was far sighted before the laser and now I was  20/20 not near sighted.  That would produce the "HUH?" from them
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Wait until the 2.5X in the helmet & tri-focal glass's arn't "enough" ... :shock:       :shock:          Or is that  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:    ????       8)  8)           Hey ..There we go .... 8)  8)  8).........Works great now ..  :lol:  :lol: :lol:

Bob.......... :wink: :shock:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

[BTW i'm still youger than most of you :roll:  :lol:[/quote]

Reading glasses before 45!!???  :shock:  I'm 57 and just started wearing  them this year. Don't have to wear them it's just a little easier to read with them. Went to the eye doc a couple weeks ago and was measured at 20/20, used to be 20/15 so I guess in about 30 years  I'll need cheaters! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

( Don't mess with the old guys!!! :lol:)[/i]

jaybee

Think I'm having the same issue.  Unfortunately I can't wear glasses under my goggles when oxy/acetylene welding.  I have a Lincoln Electric auto darkening helmet, but it's too dark to gas weld.  Can it be adapted to a lighter lens tint?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

This sounds like a group meeting for all of us.
TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "river1"BTW i'm still youger than most of you :roll:  :lol:

Reading glasses before 45!!???  :shock:  
( Don't mess with the old guys!!! :lol:)[/i]

i noticed i needed them when i was at my neighbors house. her kids were giving her grief over needing contacts AND readers. i slipped her readers on and held up something to read :shock:  a while later i noticed my magazines were starting to pile up unread. DOH!! put 2 and 2 together and went and got me some readers. i was 42 ish in age :?  BTW i still test out at 20/10 vision at the docs but that is at whatever the distance the docs put the chart, my arms aren't that long :lol:  so i need the readers

Quote from: "jaybee"Think I'm having the same issue.  Unfortunately I can't wear glasses under my goggles when oxy/acetylene welding.  I have a Lincoln Electric auto darkening helmet, but it's too dark to gas weld.  Can it be adapted to a lighter lens tint?

here is an example of the cheaters i use depending on your goggles they may work for you.

http://store.daytonamig.com/cheatmaglenf.html

another thought when i oxy/acetelyne weld i use a full face shield similar to this with a number 5 screen on it. i also use when using my plasma.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/atd-3746.html

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Charlie Chops 1940

I had to get a cheater for my auto helmet when I took a refresher last fall on TIG welding. I bought the Magoo signature model. Made a world of difference.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

reborn55

Wish I remembered how to weld, then I could use my glasses

sirstude

I had the cheaters in my helmet until I went to bifocals.  That worked for a while, but I am going to put the cheaters back in along with the bifocals.  The biggest problem is trying to look through the bifocals and the welding helmet at the same time.  Can't seem to get the helmet back far enough to allow it.  The mess with my eyes is not helping any either.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

I also have a pair of safety glasses that have dual bifocal lens on them

Lens at the normal bottom location and also lens at the top.. these work well for under the car work. I do not have to tilt my head back to focus on something
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Uncle Bob

Light, lots more light................I use one of those two head halogen units to shine on the workpiece.  Made a difference for me.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

grazza

I started wearing glasses for reading back in around 1984 (33yrs old), but blamed the fluro lights we had in the office. After I left the Air Force I continued to wear reading glasses, so just figured I was getting old like all you guys  :D . Four years ago I purchased a Newsagency and after a few months working in there gave my glasses away as I no longer needed them. Read most things without the glasses now, but I reckon you are about right Uncle Bob. If the light ain't bright or the print is on something dark coloured I reach for the glasses again. A Doctor mate of mine told me years ago if you let them eyes could get real lazy real quick. Over here the Optometrist say we should get our eyes checked yearly (Usually ends up with a prescriotion for new stronger glasses when you do) I go get mine checked if and when I break my glasses  :wink

I do have cheaters in my welding helmet tho I will admit, but it is dark in there  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

OldSub

I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade.  People told me they made me look smarter.  I still do stupid stuff so the glasses are not a magic answer.

My daughter has been using lenses since she was about four years old.

I don't think I was aware of the cheater lenses available for welding helmets but next time I go welder supply shopping I will be!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com