Making hidden tail gate latches

Started by enjenjo, July 31, 2010, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

The owner of this truck wanted hidden latches, with a central release.  I searched around, and could not find a kit that satisfied him, so he gave me the go ahead to make one. The latches are some bearclaws I got from Ball's Hot  Rod parts. These are even smaller than the mini bearclaws that everone sells. They are 1/2" thick, 1 1/8" wide, and 2 5/8" tall, just right for this application. This tailgate gets a louvered cover, so all this will be hidden when it's done. Outside of the latches, I used the winding stem out of a GM window lift, and a window winder crank, also from a GM car. The rest of the parts I made.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Neat idea & neat work...Ain't it fun to think "outside the box"   :idea:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

57larry

a great work of art. thanks for sharing

grazza

Your a clever chap and that is an nice piece of engineering.

There will be a couple of large cartons delivered to your place in the next few days.  After you have assembled all the bits contained therein it should resemble a '27 Ford Roadster. When you have finished the assembly, just give me a call and I'll slide over and pick it up. Thanks mate!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone

nzsimon

Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

Quote from: "grazza"Your a clever chap and that is an nice piece of engineering.

There will be a couple of large cartons delivered to your place in the next few days.  After you have assembled all the bits contained therein it should resemble a '27 Ford Roadster. When you have finished the assembly, just give me a call and I'll slide over and pick it up. Thanks mate!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No need to go to that trouble, I'll ship it freight collect. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

39deluxe

Great idea but won't he miss the chains rattling on the new paint?

The problem with most of the kits is they are not made for a stepside tailgate. I am planning on a louvered panel on my tailgate too so this just might be the thing for me to do.

Tom

alchevy

I bought a kit from Pro's Pick to use on my '81 Chevy Stepside Truck but I sold that truck so I will use them on the '48 Chevy Pickup I am building. The only problem I can see with this one is how do you open up both sides at the same time using both hands and then I guess you have the tailgate in your mouth or tucked under your chin.
Here's the one I am talking about:
http://www.pros-pick.com/hiddenlatchkits.html

AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com