Summit universal radiators?

Started by Mac, July 29, 2010, 10:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

My `63 C-10 has a leaky radiator and I'll be looking to replace it before winter. I've heard of people using these Summit aluminum rads. Question is; are they good for street use? The truck has a mild 283, maybe a 305 someday. No AC.
TIA
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

where is your radiator leaking from...????    it can sometimes.. if you have any decent radiator shops around be fixed easily...

are you planning on installing a cross flow???? or a down flow..

they have some exact replacements at summit.. and for the same price.. plastic and aluminum offshore replacements at AZ...  but the AZ units have a lifetime warrantee... i know.. i have used it.. just as long as you can remember your phone number..    AZ did show a copper/brass unit.. but it might be replaced with an aluminum plastic tank version..

this set of measurements might come in handy when selecting a replacement..

Notes:   3 rows, 17 3/8" x 24 3/4" x 2" core size
Core Size:    17 3/8 x 24 3/4 x 2 inch.
Number of Rows:    3
Inlet Tank:    2 1/2 x 25 7/8 inch.
Outlet Tank:    2 1/2 x 25 7/16 inch.
Inlet:    1 3/4 inch. Top Left
Outlet:    1 3/4 inch. Bottom Right
Mounting Type:    Channel
Transmission Oil Cooler:    12 inch.

this does not answer your exact question..  sorry...

Carnut

Fellow across the street from me dropped a 80's Imala SS drivetrain into his 66 Chevy Pickup.

I was surprised to see an aluminum crossflow radiator in it. Looked like it belonged there, guy said it was from a 90's camaro.

heh, heh, the guy didn't have any gauges in the truck, was running everything with a little netbook beside him as he drove it.

Had all the electronics hooked up and working, and made me feel very old and stupid looking at it all.

Beck

I used one of the universal units in my '62 PU. It works fine with my motor, but it makes very little heat. The problem was mounting it. It was a pain compared to an original replacement. It would be worth the extra bucks to be able to just bolt one in. Mine is crossflow. I had to make all new brackets with rubber mounts.

Digger

PRC makes nice aluminum ones too. My problem with any of them is I can't fix them. With a copper one, If you spring a leak in east Podunk somewhere you can usually find solder and a propane torch to repair it good enough to get home.
Just sayin---
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

zzford

I'd go with a good copper/brass replacement. They can be easily repaired in the furure.

jaybee

Speedway Motors has a line of universals as well.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Mac

This is the one that seems right for outlets and size.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380325/
It's 1" tube 2 row crossflow.  
I realize I have to fab cushioned mounts and I guess those should be at the corners so stress is on the tanks and not the core.
Who\'s yer Data?

Crosley.In.AZ

I've got a budget Summit  aluminum radiator in my  Dodge Lancer with V8..  It has been in service for near 7 yrs..    Aluminum water pump on the engine too.

I use the red life time  Prestone  radiator coolant - antifreeze stuff in it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I'm not sure but it seems as though I've heard the racing radiators have fewer fins. If that's correct you might be better off spending a little more on one designed for the street. More fins equals more cooling surface
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

I will also mention  on my aluminum rad install,  It is mounted in home built rubber saddle mounts top  n  bottom.

I have a ground wire from the rad to the chassis to help stop that electrolysis  thing.  I read some where that was a good idea.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mac

Quote from: "phat rat"I'm not sure but it seems as though I've heard the racing radiators have fewer fins. If that's correct you might be better off spending a little more on one designed for the street. More fins equals more cooling surface

This is what I thought I had heard, too. Offsetting that would be the fact that aluminum is better at radiating heat.

I'm encouraged by Crosley's use and I remember hearing the chassis grounding trick, too. Good point.
Who\'s yer Data?

phat rat

I have an aluminum 2 core cooling the BBC in my cpe. It's only about 17 X 26 but it does the job
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.