non metallic carb spacers

Started by junkyardjeff, July 25, 2010, 11:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have two cars that I am having some serious heat soak issues with and heard about using a non metallic carb spacer,has anyone used them and do they work.  This gas we have now is junk and dont remember having these problems years ago.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I have two cars that I am having some serious heat soak issues with and heard about using a non metallic carb spacer,has anyone used them and do they work.  This gas we have now is junk and dont remember having these problems years ago.

The gas we have now is not junk just not formulated for the older cars. It is formulated for better atomization in fuel injected engines. There are a number of suggestions on how to deal with this issue in this thread http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11049

unklian

chimp koose

x2 on phenolic ,also for drag cars I have used a sealed piece of plywood .

wayne petty

first.. i would really do a fuel pressure check...

make sure that it is enough.. and that it holds when the engine is shut off..

if you post what kinds of carbs...  i might be able to look up factory spacers...

there were some neat aluminum heat shields for holley flange 4 bbls.. used on 83 to 85  mustang HO 5.0's..    

aluminum sheets can also be drilled to make them...

bolt a carb mounting gasket to the aluminum sheet on top of a chunk of plywood.. use the gasket as a guide for a hole saw..   or.. if you lube it.. and have soft thin aluminum.. forsner bits..

holley sells one also..

Holley Performance/Carburetor heat shield for models 4010, 4150 and 4160  Price:$28.99 Part Number:   108-70

just an idea....

but fuel filter blockages.. reduce the pressure in the fuel lines between the tank and the pump.. this causes the fuel to boil in the lines...

if the heat riser trap door is stuck closed or frozen in a part way closed position.. the carb will seriously overheat do to the diverted exhaust under the intake and out the other side...  boils the fuel out while you are driving..

do you have one of the infrared temp guns????  can you measure the various temps around under the hood as soon as you open it after a few miles of driving..???

junkyardjeff

Both cars have Holley 600 4 bbls and both do not have heat risers,one has a steel or aluminum carb spacer and the other the carb is sitting on a aluminum intake,I will check the fuel pressure on both this week.

zzford

I have had this problem in the past as well. I bought an aluminum heat shield and a couple of 3/8" fiber spacers/gaskets and it took care of the problem completely. I believe the parts were from Mr Gasket, though you could make the heatshield yourself.

junkyardjeff

I could try the extra thick carb factory gaskets and see if it helps,yes the gas is formulated for EFI but has anyone smelled the gas lately as its real weak so to me its junk gas.