Bonneville bug.

Started by Beck, July 23, 2010, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooley

Doug, I gonna sling salt all over your name again this year.

In Modified Sports can't you extend the front way out there as long as you keep the engine in the front 50% of the wheel base.  I just thought this was a sports car instead of a 4 seater like Comp  Coupe.  I also had thought about a Pontiac Ferio.  It is only a 2 seater.  So I guess it would be a sports car. Sorry Tom this isn't what you started with this thread.  Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

sirstude

I know you can extend the front a long ways. See Tom Burkland's Modified Sports from before the current streamliner.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

More on Tom's car.  It started out life as a Datsun B210, and among other engins, it had the motors out of the streamliner so they could test them.  The last I saw of it,  it was Blue and had some kind of flathead in it.  I am wrong on the class though, I just read the list on it and it was B/BFCC Record @ 294.868 MPH

Sorry about the mis-info.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Hooley

Yes, I under stand that they built both a 2 seater and a 4 seater. Burkland's had been a 4 seater which made it a comp coupe. There was a lot of trick stuff there from what I was told.  

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Beck

Quote from: "Hooley"In Modified Sports can't you extend the front way out there as long as you keep the engine in the front 50% of the wheel base.  I just thought this was a sports car instead of a 4 seater like Comp  Coupe.  I also had thought about a Pontiac Ferio.  It is only a 2 seater.  So I guess it would be a sports car.
I just got the rule book out again. MS can be stretched to 130" wheel base. The motor location is open. The driver must sit behind the motor if it was originally a front motor car. The nose can be streamlined.
Get the Saab out of the woods!

Quote from: "Hooley"Sorry Tom this isn't what you started with this thread.  Hooley
I'm not at all concerned about where this thread leads. If it is related to Bonneville it's welcome. Just keep the thoughts coming!

sirstude

There is no limit on the top chop either.  In the older rulebook that I have, the picture for Modified Sports is a Volvo P1800 with the top cut off.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

Hooley

When the guy that owns the SAAB gets out of prison, it shouldn't more than 5 to 10 years I'll ask him.  I have been talking to his brother about it.

Does any one remember any Pontiac Ferio running is MP at Bonneville?

Sum, has had an eye on a Geo Metro that was a trunk back car. It is small and narrow. Could make a comp coupe.

I think I attached a concept of a Henry J Comp Coupe by Sumner I think.
"Just Glade To Be Here"

54stude

If you need a Sonnett, I might have a lead on one up here in MN.  

One thing, the bottoms rust out of the things up here really bad, so dont plan on using more than the fiberglass outer body shape from most of the cars.  

I would not think you would need to pay more than $500 to get a rusty one in MN.

Cheers,
Brian

sirstude

If anyone is looking at sonnets, google them and look at the 2 series.  I think the Sonnet II looks much swoopier.  Both are tiny cars, there was a first generation at the Good-Guys last weekend in Puyallup the first day.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

54stude

I think the sonnet 3 with the front end extended and streamlined would be a good choice also.

The Sonnet 1 cars are really rare and expensive, so these would not be an option.

Also, any sonnet that has a 2 stroke engine will be worth a lot more for parts than a v4 car.

If someone is serious about this, go ahead and PM me and I can ask a few Saab "nuts" that I know and track one of these down for you.  If all you want is the outer body, fiberglass and hood, there is a good chance everything would fit into a long box pickup with no trailer.

I can tell you that these things have way nicer fiberglass work as far as quality goes than a corvette of the same year in my opinion.  There is no "chopper gun" fiberglass in these cars from my recollection, all hand laid.

unklian

unklian

unklian

Hooley

Unklian, Thanks for posting the pictures. That Sonett I is a beautiful car. I have never seen one.
The one here in the woods is a Sonett III  i believe. I talked to his brother yesterday. He should be out in 12 Mo's.  I don't think it would take a couple hundard $'s to buy it. No Bottom in a car is no problem I would build a chasses any way. It is much easyer that way. I am in no hurry about this and it may never happen.  It is sure a lot of fun to think it out and have some ideas.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

sirstude

III is the one I meant.  A friend of mine had one in college.  Sum did a stretch of one using paint for me.  I will see if I can find it.  I have it printed out, but many computers since then.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us