Bonneville bug.

Started by Beck, July 23, 2010, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

The Bonneville bug is still hanging on. I hoped I would get over it by not acting on my desires. It's still here..
Up until about 3 weeks ago I wasn't going to Speed Week. Then it started working on me... I made a call to Hooley.  I'm all in.
I've been studying the rule book again. I am going to have to ask myself the whole while I am at Speed Week, "Is this what you really want to do?" If the answer is "YES!" every time I am going to have to make some class decisions. Guys on the 974 crew, please keep asking me that question.
I made a post in Jan about what motor to use there.
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10608&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Those thoughts are still in my mind along with a few others. 4.8 late model GM truck motor?
I still like the idea of blown alcohol but the truck classes I am interested in don't run a fuel class, only gas. The truck class would be one of the easier to build since the stock frame and body are required.
There are some open record classes in blown fuel rear engine modified roadster. Those cars would be much harder to engineer and build. They look a little weird too. They are much more aero though.

Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated. They will give me something to 'check out' while at the event this year.
Help!

Hooley

Beck, I kinda looked at the modified sports class at one time. It looked interesting.  We will have a lot of time to talk in a couple of weeks.
                   Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

57larry

I'll be there next year, 2011

enjenjo

I think you will find there is some tough competition in the small engine truck classes. Not saying you can't do it, but be prepared to step up. Of course any more, there are very few soft records left.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Hooley

Yea, I went back and looked at the Modified Sports and thoes records are up there.  HAY finde a nitch and go for it with gusto.
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"I think you will find there is some tough competition in the small engine truck classes. Not saying you can't do it, but be prepared to step up. Of course any more, there are very few soft records left.
In the unblown modified mini truck class the records are tough. In the blown modified mini truck class the D (261 - 305) and E (184 to 260) class have open records. The unblown C record is 210, the blown C record is 177 which appears soft.

We have discussed the D and E motors in the past. The small block Chevy looks like the easy choice. The high tech motors will outperform them but if I hurry I could get in the record book. I will see what happens at Speed Week before making any decisions.

In the unblown modified full size tuck class the records are tough also. Jessel has several blown modified full size truck records that are also tough in the C,D, and E classes. AA and B blown modified full size truck are open. A is soft at 173. I do have a '90 Chevy full size extended cab short bed truck available, which makes that class more attractive. I am investigating a 636 cu in motor possiblity next Sat. Those big motors get very expensive. AA/BMP?? Hooley and I are sharing a room at Bonneville. If I give him a good night kiss every night maybe I can talk him out of his B motor. :oops:

Beck

Quote from: "Hooley"Yea, I went back and looked at the Modified Sports and thoes records are up there.  HAY finde a nitch and go for it with gusto.

Did you see the B/BFMS record? I think you could handle that one pretty easily.  Got a body?
I saw a trashed Berkley on craigslist here last fall. The add is long gone though.

Carps

Quote from: "Beck"Hooley and I are sharing a room at Bonneville. If I give him a good night kiss every night maybe I can talk him out of his B motor. :oops:
Bump it up a notch and he may step up with his A motor.   :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Beck

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Beck"Hooley and I are sharing a room at Bonneville. If I give him a good night kiss every night maybe I can talk him out of his B motor. :oops:
Bump it up a notch and he may step up with his A motor.   :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I don't think I want it that bad. :wink:

Hooley

NONE OF THAT SILLY STUFF. NOW YOU HEAR?
I don't have any sports car bodys but there is a Saab sonnet out in the woods around here.  I do have another 53 Studebaker though.  I also have a 32 ford rodaster body [glass] and frame.  
 If I was to do the Stude I don't think I would chop it. I would like a little more driver room.  Just thoughts for now.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

Beck

Quote from: "Hooley"I do have another 53 Studebaker though.
If I was to do the Stude I don't think I would chop it. I would like a little more driver room.  Just thoughts for now.

Hooley
That could take you out of the Competition Coupe and put you into Altered or Gas Coupe. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think those are some stiff competition, not that you aren't capable.

Quote from: "Hooley"I don't have any sports car bodys but there is a Saab sonnet out in the woods around here.
That would be a tiny drivers compartment. I don't know what the Modified Sports records are..
Just checked - how about - B/BFMS - OPEN
Why am attracted to the open records?
Some of the others appear a little soft. Some are flying!

Quote from: "Hooley"I have a 32 Ford roadster
The modified roadster classes are crazy fast.

sirstude

I liked the MS classes also, when I was dreaming.  My thought was the Saab Sonnet that Hooley mentioned.  I saw one this weekend at Puyallup and remembered just how small they are.  I think the later ones would be better.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Hooley

Doug, I took some pic of the Saab a couple of years ago it has a lot of promise and it's made of fiberglass. John can worke wonders with fiberglass.
Will we see you at the salt this year?
Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

sirstude

Hi Hooley,  

Not going to make it this year, but next year is in the works.  Might bring down a couple of salt virgins.  The biggest issue with this year is I waited to long to make up my mind and the rooms were all gone by then.  The other thing is the Good Guys event in Spokane moved up a week and is right on the top.

Good luck this year.
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

Motor setbacks are allowed in MS up to 2% I believe. Picture the Sonnet with that. The first plug can be 2% of the wheelbase behind the center line of the front axle. Where you going to sit?
http://www.vintagesaab.com/sonett/bj2/images/bj2i90.jpg