'nuther project in the shop

Started by DRD57, July 17, 2010, 05:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I got a new project in the shop yesterday that should be a relatively quick one (famous last words, I know). It's a 56 Ford Victoria that has already had a 289/C4/8" swap in the past. Now that's worn out and it's getting a 351W/4R70W/and 3.8something gears in the 8".

We're also planning on swapping from manual steering to power steering from ABS Power Brake Inc. They off a "kit" that includes a new box, what appears to be a Saginaw pump, hoses, brackets and a rag joint. You have to cut the old shaft off about 3", grind the shaft to Double D for the rag joint, ream the pitman arm, and bolt it all up. This leads me to my question, Does the column unbolt from the original box or do they have to come out as a unit?  

Actually I have a few other questions too since I'm not much of a Ford guy.
Will the 289 starter work with the 351/4R70W?
Will the 289 alternator brackets work on the 351 which now has AFR heads?

WZ JUNK

Ford brackets are real hard to interchange but you might get lucky.  Alan Grove told me once that they had to slot most of the holes in their Ford brackets as Ford varied the hole locations even in the same series of engines.  Good luck.

I have always like those cars.  I owned two once when I was young but I never got them home.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

DRD57

this is the one I'm working on

Charlie Chops 1940

With a '55 grille??? Nice car.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "DRD57"I got a new project in the shop yesterday that should be a relatively quick one (famous last words, I know). It's a 56 Ford Victoria that has already had a 289/C4/8" swap in the past. Now that's worn out and it's getting a 351W/4R70W/and 3.8something gears in the 8".

We're also planning on swapping from manual steering to power steering from ABS Power Brake Inc. They off a "kit" that includes a new box, what appears to be a Saginaw pump, hoses, brackets and a rag joint. You have to cut the old shaft off about 3", grind the shaft to Double D for the rag joint, ream the pitman arm, and bolt it all up. This leads me to my question, Does the column unbolt from the original box or do they have to come out as a unit?  

Actually I have a few other questions too since I'm not much of a Ford guy.
Will the 289 starter work with the 351/4R70W?
Will the 289 alternator brackets work on the 351 which now has AFR heads?

To my knowledge the starters are the same  289 - 302 - 351w.. that would be after market starters , OEM may be different

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

On the steering column, the shaft is part of the steering box. You can cut the shaft off just above the box, or if you want to save the box, a shaft from a 60s Ford pickup will fit, and is a solid shaft. Just put the pickup shaft in the 56 column, and cut to the right length.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DRD57

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"With a '55 grille??? Nice car.
Yup! the 56 has a 1" lower roofline than the 55. It also has 56 Mercury wagon tail lights, 55 Olds headlight doors, 66 Tbird seats, a 63 Galaxie console, and a 65 GTO hood scoop molded to the hood.

Charlie Chops 1940

Just seems so unusual to see a '55 grille in a '56...sorta like putting a '53 Chevy grille in a '54 Chevy.

The '55/'56 Ford hoods are a great canvas for 6 or 8 rows of 3" louvers...I did one for a local guy a few years ago and he still raves over how he loves looking out over them.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Okiedokie

Looks like a "fraud" to me. :wink: One of my favorites.

Crosley.In.AZ

i noticed that green jalopy behind the Ford

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Sharp looking car, Don.  Really sharp.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

zzebby

And I have a pickup solid shaft with rag joint under the bench.  No charge and shipping from AZ will be cheap. Want it ?

kb426

The 2 common flywheels are 157 and 164 teeth. The nose and block plate will be different for the 2 flywheels. Depending on the header selection, one of the small starters maybe the only choice. I think a 1990 tbird v8 is the more common of the Ford small starters until you get to the 90's explorers. The brackets will be try and see. There are several water pump lengths to deal with.
TEAM SMART

DRD57

It looks like the PS kit isn't going to work. The box hits the pivot shaft for the upper A-arm and the shaft end of the box is so long that the rag joint or u-joint would go through the firewall. The car has an original column with the shifter and that's got to stay.

If I re-drilled the frame or the box to move it back to clear the A-arm problem, that makes my rag joint problem worse.

AAAARGH! I hate parts that don't fit.

The customer still wants PS.

Anybody have any leads on putting PS in one of these?

I got the engine and trans mated up but, the plate from the 289/C4 won't work. The starter holes are on a different place on the 4R70W so, I ordered a new plate from the local Ford dealer.

We're using hipo 289 Mustang exhaust manifolds so, starter/header clearance problems should be nonexistent.

sirstude

I know a guy here put a rack in his 56 Ford.  Not sure how he did it, and I won't see him for a week or so to ask.  Probably used some kind of kit.  Check the following site.

http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us