Looking for a softer ride

Started by trackster, July 16, 2010, 10:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

I am running a 7 leaf spring on the front and the ride is really hard.  Thinking about removing a leaf or two, or three, to soften the ride . Any suggestions on how many and which ones to remove?  Not looking to lower it much, just a softer ride.  

Any chance it can be done without completely removing from the vehicle?

Thanks.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

enjenjo

Need more info. What car? What spring, stock or aftermarket?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

trackster

1930 Ford pickup, 350 Chevy, auto trans, not sure of the axle or spring origin.  There when I bought the truck.  Spring is 1 3/4 inch wide and the perches are 35-36 inches apart.  Attached picture may help.

Charlie Chops 1940

On my track roadster I removed a couple leaves (the two shortest) from a seven pack.  Seems okay (as okay as a cross spring seems to get) and doesn't bottom out at all. That's what I built the front frame arond and I didn't put a spacer back in on the top of the pack. If clearance is an issue put a spacer block on top the thickness of 2 leaves or may be 3 if your u-bolts are of sufficient length. A bif trial and error.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Looks like an aftermarket spring. The first thing I see, the shocks are mounted with bushings in a bind.  It also looks like the spring may be too long for the application, and may be bottoming on the perch bolts. In answer to the original question, you can probably remove a couple leaves, but if it's binding, it will only make things worse.

GPster

I'm not the master of this but it might be helpful to remove the shock from it's lower joint and swing it out of the way and then take a picture. Then maybe step back and take a picture that shows it with the upper shock mount. I thought some of those lower shock mounts were keyed to the spring/wishbone bolt and it may have just rotated around or not put together correctly  but it needs to line up with the upper shock mount. Maybe that spring has had the arch taken out of it and that's why it appears so flat. Sometimes people tune those springs by shortening the leaves from the ends but those lubricant pockets will keep you from doing that. GPster

trackster

Thanks for all the input.  Due to my schedule for the next couple months (and I thought I had retired!) I probably will have to wait until after the cruising season to do any thing with the suspension.  May blow the truck apart for a redo.  I've had it for 14 years and it's about time to make a few more changes. Thanks again. I appreciate the experience you have and your willingness to share the knowledge gained.

enjenjo

Here are some other thoughts on this. The spring shackles should be at least a 45 degree angle to keep from binding the spring under compression. Another thing, the four bar links have to adjusted so the do not pull the axle back, or push it forward when hooked up, or it will bind the spring up.  Also if the peches are twisting the spring, this can cause a bind too.