Father / Daughter bonding on Power Tour

Started by Beck, July 14, 2010, 08:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

The Hot Rod Power Tour was one of the things on my bucket list. Back in January or so I asked my wife if she would like to go. As expected, "No Way!" was the reply. My oldest duaghter is always out of town working so she was bypassed. My youngest duagter had just turned 15. She was thinking "Drive!!". I hadn't thought that far ahead. She said she would love to go if she could drive. I took her up on the deal.
Since she was going to do the driving I entered my truck in her name. They were really confused when they asked for her drivers licence at registration. She handed them a sheet of paper from the State. That was accepted when I produced my drivers licence as an adult driver going with her.
She was a few days to young to drive in KY so I did drive that part. We put on 2800 miles on the Long Haul.
Now she is an official Car Nut! She was interested before but this really converted her.
We had a great trip! She got a lot of attention. The truck got a lot of attention. She kicked some serious booty in the pinewood derby races.
Don't tell her mother that she did an unplanned 270 in the rain in Chatanooga. It happend so fast she didn't have time to scream.
We spent 10 days on the road and had a great time. I will (hope she does too) remember it the rest of my days.

Charlie Chops 1940

If you don't post pictures then it didn't happen.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Having done a couple 2000 mile road trips with my granddaughter Shelby, I know where you are coming from. When I ask her about doing another, she always says yes, so she must have enjoyed it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"If you don't post pictures then it didn't happen.

Charlie
We took very few photos. Everyone was taking photos of us. Watch for us in HR mag.

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"Having done a couple 2000 mile road trips with my granddaughter Shelby, I know where you are coming from. When I ask her about doing another, she always says yes, so she must have enjoyed it.
Everyone thought my daughter was my granddaughter. Old farts like me don't have kids that young. She keeps me young, but keeps me from retirement too. I still have to pay for her college.

Charlie Chops 1940

Okay - I'll wait for pictures. Congrats on a good run. I'll just bet she had a grin pasted on her face most of the time.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

river1

Quote from: "Beck"she did an unplanned 270 in the rain in Chatanooga.

haven't we all :roll:  :roll:

sounds like it was a fun trip.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

57larry

tha's cool. my daughter and I have built a few cars for her, 47 Ford, 39 Ford and a 40 pickup. now she's married and her husband is a car guy. (had to be)

Sounds like a Great Time! I have a 13 year old granddaughter......I have been trying to find a common interest such as cars,sports,fishing/camping etc....As of yet....not much progress.We have attended a couple of car events together and she seemed to have a good time,we've attended a few Football/Baseball/Basketball games which she seems to enjoy,Been camping/fishing also but the enjoyment level is not such that she asks when we're going to do that again.....guess I'll be patient and see what develops.Perhaps when she's old enough for a learners permit her interest in cars may pick up.Keep up the good work.....we need more gals involved in the car hobby!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

32coupe

I have 3 daughters 21, 13 and 11, and they all love rods and rod runs. they can barely wait each year for our local run.  

My oldest is now living with a rodder friend of mine's son and is about to give me a grand child to him, ( nice kid and good friend ) and she can now go to lots more runs with her extended family.

The other 2 keep pestering me about the next run, and the run after that, but hey, I love how much enthusiasm they have and love taking them to runs
:wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

the yeti

I have a son & a daughter, My son loves cars and runs but isnt fussed on the building side of things (but he does show an interest when I come in from the shed) my Daughter on the other hand loves the build she is out in the shed with me any chance she gets, more than one time I have had to carry her from the door to the bathroom at the end of the day becasue shes that covered in crap she would leave a trail of greasy hand prints and "stuff" all the way through the house, shes only 7 but I hope working in the shed on the chev with her dad never becomes too uncool for her.

Flipper

My son and I are about to make the long road trip to Bonneville.  Unfortunately, it won't be in a hot rod this time....I'm driving my daily driver for the gas mileage and airconditioning.

I'm anticipating the trip being 4500 miles total.

Flipper

Since we are already going to be out there, we are going to take a couple extra days on the way back and see a bit of the country.

What are the must see sights in Utah, Nevada, Colorado or Arizona?

We are kinda thinking of making a big loop or zig zagging through those states somehow. Right now the list is penciled in as:

Las Vegas strip at night
Grand Canyon (is North or South side better?)
Arches National Park
Rocky Mountain National Park

Where would y'all go?  Oh yeah, I'm trying to do this on a shoestring budget.

Carnut

how about Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Green River all in southern Utah.

Do both north and south Rims on Grand Canyon in one day.

Zion is a good place for lunch, several movies were filmed there.

Doing Monument Valley and staying in Kayenta or just checking out local Holiday Inn motel where several movie folks stayed during filming in Monument Valley.

Then stopping off at the four corners point just for kicks to say you have been there.

Drive back thru southern Colorado thru from the south to Durango, then up to Silverton and then Ourey the Switzerland of Colorado is really pictuesque, then across to the east on 50 thru Gunison and then stop at Royal Gorge just before Canon City.,

Utah, Ariz, and Colo just have so many beautiful and interesting places to go all over each state.

Oh, Check out the Kennecot Open Pit Copper Mine at Touele just outside Salt Lake City, there's a little back road to the top of a mountain on the edge of the mine that you drive up and then gives you a view of the mine from above.

Course with a southern drive from Grand Canyon to Flagstaff you can hit Sedona Canyon area and then go back east to the Meteor Crater for a quick stop. Heh, heh, I still have a Yucca Cactus growing in my yard that I dug up along a road in Sedona back in 91.

Cruising up thru Yuppee Rich world Taos New Mexico is a bit of a trip.
Again so many tourist trap place in New Mexico, White Sand, Roswell. etc.

Guess that is enough for now, lets see what other folks have to say.

enjenjo

Way too many places to do in one trip. Shiprock is nice, I love the drive around the east end of the Grand canyon. Salt river canyon is impressive. Hoover dam is worth a stop.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.