starter

Started by tompeters, July 06, 2010, 02:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tompeters

have an 86 gm 30 1 ton motor home, i believe 21 ft. it has 168 tooth flywheel, how would i know if i have the correct starter for this flywheel? 350 eng. starter does not seem to line up properly. put brace on rear of starter but it wants  to keep moving. starter bolts wont hold that end from moving. tried shims same thing. thanks . :?

wayne petty

you did not say if you have a 5.7 motor or a 7.4 or the diesel

i am taking that your starter part number on the box is a 3510M...

there are 2 different 3510 starters

a

3510  this has a full size solenoid.. and the mounting bolt holes are sized for 3/8" bolts...

and a

3510M   these usually have a smaller shorter starter solenoid...  and should have the mounting bolt holes sized for 10MM  starter mounting bolts..

installing a 3510M on a block with inch size bolts..  the starter will usually kick around...  as there is some slop..  

how tight is the knurling on the bolt fit in the starter at the mounting face side...

warning.. metric bolts will break the block if screwed into a SAE threaded block...

one can run a 3/8 die on the threads of a metric starter bolt to convert it..

wayne petty

the starter centers is location on the knurled area of the bolt... if you notice the block is counter bored slightly..  this allows the starter bolt knurled area to align the starter housing right at the mounting face..

the starter mounting holes are  also larger at what would be the bottom when the starter is mounted..  just at the block... they are precision sized..

i have seen the knurls go flat from use...

these are the various starter bolts...

i don't know if the top one is the right length for the metric starters and blocks...

tompeters

wayne ,it looks like i have the shorter soleinoid on my 350. the bolts have alot of slop in the starter housing. it is the 3510m starter. then i need to pick up the 3510s and proceed from there. thanks wayne, young kids and others behind the counter did not know enough to to make the effort. many thanks again.   tom

wayne petty

before you do that...   look at the heads of your bolts...

are they marked with stripes...   or do the have numbers like 10.9 or 12.9 that would indicate they are metric...

remember the metric bolts will split an earlier block...

the 81 should take a 3510M starter..  if is a 350 that came in it..  

but again.. check the bolts...  check the knurl... through the starter with the starter off... only the side that fits against the block will the knurl fit tight..

there are so many engine swaps.. and rebuilds.. that anything is possible..

i have even gotten the wrong nose on the starter...

tompeters

they are 3/8 bolts and the knurled end fit is sloppy, this starter and other parts were in the camper when it was towed to my house. only got it started once before having issues with the starter. i have several sets of 3/8 starter bolts. i think i need the 3510s to start with (no pun intended)as all your info makes sense. be tomorrow before i get one and try it. i think im on the right track. thanks

wayne petty

do you have any known 10MM x 1.5 pitch bolts... you can try in the block with your fingers.????/  if they thread in...   you just need metric bolts...

don't use a tap... you don't want to tap new threads...

tompeters

went and picked up a new starter ,i could see at a glance the difference in them . the hole sizes were  miles apart. when the knurled part hits the bottom of the hole it is a push fit, perfect.install tomorrow and see if i have any other issues. thanks wayne