Any A/C experts ?

Started by Learpilot, June 19, 2010, 08:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "reborn55"Bob--very good explanaition--why don't you explain that to the ones that drive these ambulances down here.  100 degrees out--cooling 48-60 front and rear and it is not cold enough.  Get it cool--open that big old box and presto--all the a/c is gone.   :lol:

Ken ...We spec a vehicle simular to that ..( Little school busses)  Carrier aftermarket rear overhead evaporator units with a separate rear frame mounted condenser & fan system....They are tapped into the factory dash A/C system ...NOBODY can understand them ...... :?  :?  AAAAARRRRGGGGG......... :!:  :!:  :!:

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

reborn55

Our rigs are fitted with the under box rear condenser with dual fans--have made a world of difference in keeping box cool and overall performance.  Too bad most ambulance manufacturers still do not use that setup. Some even by pass the factory sittings for the rear a/c.
Got our first Chevy with the Duramax last month.  Fords are killing me.  Thanks

Learpilot

I want to Thank all of you that gave me great answers. I have learned a lot more about A/C. I did read on Vintage Air's web site about trouble shooting. They have an example of my very problem, and they agree with you all that I probaly have not gotten all the moisture out of my system. Here in Georgia we have high humidity and I vacuumed for about 45 min. I think I should have gone 1 to 1 1/2 hour with the 150 watt light on my drier.  My question now should I get a new drier or use the one that I have ? I bought it the same time that I bought the new A/C unit. I took one cap off the fittings just long enough to oil the o-rings and then screwed the hose on then did the other side the same. The only thing it would cost me is some freon. I have a vacuum pump and gauges.

THANKS again, Rick

UGLY OLDS

Rick ..I would not do anything ..If the system is operating properly with the temp control backed off a little bit & the interior is cooling properly ...Run it ...The next time you have to evac & charge the system for any reason ,use the 150 watt bulb trick & evacuate  for a least an hour to get ALL the moisture out ... ... Your pressures are in the ball park for your ambient temp...If the system works with the control backed down a little .....I won't tell anybody ....If they ask ..Tell them it's so high performance you cant use it all at once ..It causes frostbite ... :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

( My Olds has been that way for approx 5 years with a R-12 system..Mrs Ugly normally wears a sweater on long trips ..) ...

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Learpilot

THANK,  I can do nothing real well !!!
Rick