model A

Started by enjenjo, June 07, 2010, 12:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

This afternoon I was out and about, turned the corner at rt 64, and a Model A followed me up the road. I drive about three miles to a traffic light, and made a right turn. At that point, I noticed the A was right behind me. I had been running about 55 mph. So now I am on the 4 lane, and I kick it up to 60, and the Model A swings out and passes me! As he did, I can see it has the stock rear in it. He and I both turn after a mile or two, I am following him now, and he accellerated like a moden car. Now it sounded like a 4 banger when he passed me, but not like an A. I wonder what he has for power.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Hhmmmmmmmm........ :?   One never can tell...... :shock:

Did he ever hit 88 MPH ????

Bob............... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

rumrumm

Quote from: "enjenjo"This afternoon I was out and about, turned the corner at rt 64, and a Model A followed me up the road. I drive about three miles to a traffic light, and made a right turn. At that point, I noticed the A was right behind me. I had been running about 55 mph. So now I am on the 4 lane, and I kick it up to 60, and the Model A swings out and passes me! As he did, I can see it has the stock rear in it. He and I both turn after a mile or two, I am following him now, and he accellerated like a moden car. Now it sounded like a 4 banger when he passed me, but not like an A. I wonder what he has for power.

I have heard of Pinto engines and transmissions being dropped into otherwise  stock Model A's. Maybe that's what this one had. A friend of mine built a depot hack a number of years ago, and that is what used.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Carnut

I recently saw and drooled over a stock looking Model A on ebay with a flathead V8 installed.

The rest of the drivetrain appeared to be stock right down to the suspension and mechanical brakes.

It was a very sanitary looking installation to me. It really wasn't a traditional style hotrod setup.

I had wondered if the Flathead would attach to the Model A trans or if the Flathead was using a later 32 to 39 V8 trans hooked to the Model A driveshaft.

I think the mechanical brakes setup would require use of the original Model A trans and pedal setup.

My experience with flatheads was the 39 floorshift trans and merc bellhousing and 8BA 49 V8 engine. I never checked out the bolt pattern on the Model A Bell Housing or Trans boltup.

Several local Model A's are running the Pinto 4 banger, seems to be a popular installation in mostly stock appearing model A's.

purplepickup

Did he pull alongside and yell "Hey, buddy, how can I get this car out of second gear?"  Beep Beep, Beep Beep...
George

Mikej

Frank was everyone else passing you too. Better check your speedo. :lol:

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank's retired now so you know what he does for entertainment is to drive around slow with his left turn signal on just to wizz people off...oh wait, that's me to....
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Go ahead, pick on me, thay way you are leaving alone someone who can't take it.

Danimal

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Frank's retired now so you know what he does for entertainment is to drive around slow with his left turn signal on just to wizz people off...oh wait, that's me to....

Come on, that isn't because he's retired, that's part of Ohio Driver's Ed.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Danimal"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Frank's retired now so you know what he does for entertainment is to drive around slow with his left turn signal on just to wizz people off...oh wait, that's me to....

And here you thought I didn't hold grudges.

Danimal

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Danimal"

And here you thought I didn't hold grudges.

What'd I say?!?