A ? For Crosley

Started by nomobux, July 18, 2004, 12:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomobux

Fresh 700r4 / shift kit / deep pan / stock 'verter / finned alum tube cooler. Qestion is what is the optimum temp range. Car is a glass 32 3 window hi-boy / 2800 lbs. Running 4.11s. Drove about 75 miles in 100 deg heat @ 2300 rpm. I forgot to ck it for about 10 min or so and it prob built a little more. Heat gun showed about 248 at center of trans and cooler was 'bout 210. TIA ...... nomobux
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

purplepickup

This isn't an answer to your question but I thought I'd add a comment.  I run a 350 TH with a slippery torque converter and was concerned about my trans temp so I added a gauge and put the sender on my remote filter housing which in the line coming out of the tranny before it goes to the cooler.   I was getting as high as 235 degrees there.   Tony told me that the real way to measure temp is to put the sender in the pan where you're measuring the temp of the oil that will be pumped thru the tranny.  I moved the sender and now I get readings of no higher than 205 degrees even in extreme conditions....normally about 180 deg.  

It makes a big difference on where and how you measure the temp.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

The unit should run cooler than that if it was in lock up and OD.  

What is the size of the cooler and is there good air flow throooough the cooler?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

nomobux

Quote from: "Crosley"The unit should run cooler than that if it was in lock up and OD.  

What is the size of the cooler and is there good air flow throooough the cooler?
Tony - The cooler is a Specialty Auto Tech ( page 234 street scene, july '04 ) 18" long, starting at mid door & back, pass side, closest dist to exh. is 4 1/2". Should I thermal wrap the right pipe ? Build a shield ? Airflow unknown. When I ck the temp again, how far should I drive it, and should I shoot the pan with the gun, rather than the case. What is the temp range before there's a prob ? Oil still looks good & smells good, shifts good. Yes it was in OD & locked. I'm desperately seekin Susan here, can't afford to do this twice ! Many thanx for the input.
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

1FATGMC

I agree with George that you need to get a temp gauge and mount the sender in the pan.  I have one and it is nice to know what the temps are.

I can't see how you can use a heat gun as the temps will fluctuate rather quickly (see next paragraph)

Not pulling the teardrop my 700R4 runs about 135 going down the highway.  With the teardrop it runs about 150.  

The highest I've seen and that was less than a minute was 230 and that was at the top of a 10,500 foot pass towing the teardrop, WOT, in third with the converter unlocked at about 65 mph.  My engine temp climbed to about that also for the last minute of the climb until I went over the pass.  It went from 140 to 230 in about 7 miles and once over the top cooled back to 140 in less than a mile.

My cooler is probably about 6" X 12" and is in front of the rad on one side.  My line runs from the tranny to the rad. cooler then to the aux. cooler and back to the tranny.  

I also run an Aux filter in the line from the aux. cooler back to the tranny.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "nomobux"-  Airflow unknown.

The cooler for the tranny is a radiator for oil.   Would you build a vehicle with the radiator for the engine in a similar setup?

I would suggest an electric small fan for the cooler to have positive air flow through it.  

With your current  setup , I am guessing there is no tranny fluid hooked to the engine radiator cooler , only the tranny cooler under the vehicle?

Keep the tranny oil below 180-200 range
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)